• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you find a mate for a 9 year old bunny?

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
My Button is in stasis but if he recovers I've been thinking about rebonding, but it would have to be another older bun but what if his mate died before him again, would it be fair?

Also not many older females around, as I looked when he lost his mate then just forgot about it.

Firstly I think it's great you're thinking about adopting an older rabbit, the majority of people go for the young ones, me too :oops:

Secondly I wanted to tell you about the availability of older buns, they may not be up for adoption in your local rescues. But there are many rescues on this forum that have older rabbits that re home nationally. If the rabbit in mind is a little far from you then this forum is kind enough to arrange bunny runs. This is when the rabbit is transported from town to town, or more until the bun gets to the adopter.

Rabbits can live up to 12 years + your bun has roughly 3 years or more to live, I think an older rabbit around the same age would benefit your bun's happiness and *yours* :p

If I was in this position I would want to bond him into a trio or quad, so that he didnt have to go through losing a partner again and having to rebond again, and so when he eventually passes his partner already has a friend. Or just bond him with a younger adult bun and deal with that bun's rebonding when the time comes. [edit: if the stasis is stress related I would probably go with this option for less stress, and bond gradually as well.]

That is, unless he is giant, as if he was giant I would not rebond, as at 8 years a giant is on borrowed time really.

Last edited:
I've recently lost one of a bonded pair, leaving heather on her own. She is nearly 9.5 and I have every intention of rebonding her, she was with Harry for 7 years and they were inseparable so I don't think it is fair to leave her on her own. I also have another pair so my first option when I get back from working away next week is to try and bond her with my other pair; if that doesn't work then I will get her another pal of her own. I remember a couple of years back though when I was looking for a new pal for dudley after Santa died, that it was actually quite hard to find an older bun in rescue; good thing in a way I guess, but the age profile for bunnies in rescue tends to major on those a lot younger than cats and dogs. I'm sure you'd find a suitable pal or pals for yours somewhere :D

Back