• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Water dispenser???

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Hi all, I was just wondering which one of u it is that's got a kind of water bottle that has a little free drinking part at the bottom rather than a spout? Sorry for the bad description! I know iv seen it on one of the threads but can't remember where! I'm asking because Heidi doesn't seem to like bottles. Iv always used the normal spout water bottles and gave Heidi one when I got her (it was one of those glass chew proof ones) as this is what she had in the store aswell. Anyway I noticed that she hadn't drank much and actually saw her trying to drink and no air bubbles were coming up so I checked the bottle and it didn't seem to be working so I gave her a bowl and she had a big drink straight away, I felt awful she must have been so thirsty! Anyway, I bought her a new bottle (as I personally prefer bottles for cleanliness) but noticed she wasn't drinking much again and this bottle was working fine but iv had to give her a bowl again and now she seems to prefer the bowl! I would rather not use a bowl long term so I was thinking of one of the dispenser type bottles so wanted a recommendation!! Sorry that turned into a very long post to basically just ask a question in the 1st few lines :lol:

Hi all, I was just wondering which one of u it is that's got a kind of water bottle that has a little free drinking part at the bottom rather than a spout? Sorry for the bad description! I know iv seen it on one of the threads but can't remember where! I'm asking because Heidi doesn't seem to like bottles. Iv always used the normal spout water bottles and gave Heidi one when I got her (it was one of those glass chew proof ones) as this is what she had in the store aswell. Anyway I noticed that she hadn't drank much and actually saw her trying to drink and no air bubbles were coming up so I checked the bottle and it didn't seem to be working so I gave her a bowl and she had a big drink straight away, I felt awful she must have been so thirsty! Anyway, I bought her a new bottle (as I personally prefer bottles for cleanliness) but noticed she wasn't drinking much again and this bottle was working fine but iv had to give her a bowl again and now she seems to prefer the bowl! I would rather not use a bowl long term so I was thinking of one of the dispenser type bottles so wanted a recommendation!! Sorry that turned into a very long post to basically just ask a question in the 1st few lines :lol:

http://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/cat-...-dispenser-mixed-colours-600ml-12.5x19x19.5cm

I believe we stock larger ones too!

I remember seeing a post on here a few months back where someone was using them, can't remember who it was but I think the verdict was it's good

I use one and I can't fault it - only thing is you need to engineer some sort of way to attach it to a hutch/run.

I am a real fan of a plain old bowl of water. Other than for lack of space, I cannot see why use anything else as it is far more natural.

I am a real fan of a plain old bowl of water. Other than for lack of space, I cannot see why use anything else as it is far more natural.

I have to agree with this.
My guys drink more when they have a bowl.
I wash the bowl out often & they have fresh water daily.
I did initially use a bottle as a back up in case they knocked it over but that hasn't happened ever in the years I've used a bowl, so now only use a bowl.
I actually think bottles are harder to clean with all the little nocks & crannies.

Also a ceremic bowl fan. I have used bottles in the past, but my bunnies drink much more than they ever did before and its much easier to clean!

the bottle mentioned has a little bowl at the bottom so it's virtually the same as drinking from a regular bowl as far as the rabbits are concerned.
Only difference is it can't be knocked over or spilled (mine pushed around a ceramic bowl so all the water sloshed out) and it doesn't get as much hay, fur, etc in it (never have a poop in there and they used to get in bowls all the time with my lot). I find it easier to fill and carry around as well which is useful when I've got my arms full of food and water for various animals in the morning. :thumb:

I think il get one of the bottles to try with Heidi but I may well use a bowl when I get the new hutch. Iv always had outdoor rabbits in hutches filled with wood chips, straw and hay but since iv had Heidi inside and seen the benefits of Lino I'm thinking of putting Lino in the new hutch and having litter tray in bed as it seems a lot of u do. Will save me a fortune in wood chips and straw aswell and make much less mess outside!! Summer and Skye currently use their bed as toilet and some areas of the lower level but when they r spayed and in new hutch (single level) I am hoping they will stick to one area. Heidi is really good and has been only using the carrier that was intended as a bed but makes a better litter tray apparently! But I'm glad as its contained, I was worried about wee getting onto the carpet as the house is rented but so far so good :thumb: Anyways I seem to has digressed :lol:

Back