• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skinny boy *been to vet* update

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
I'm having slightly paranoid thoughts about wee JayJay the bunny we adopted from Buddies Bunny rescue in March this year.

He has always been on the skinny side since we got him but doesn't seem to have put much weight on despite us feeding him science select on the fly (Honey is on a diet). We were wondering if it's possible his former life (4 years in a small cage) is resulting in him having difficulty in building muscle. He eats well and is always constantly munching during his free range time but still feels a bit boney to me.

He was also a terrible hay eater but has improved recently when we introuduced ings hay and now he eats a good amount of other types of hay as well.

Anyway I decided to book him in for a check up at the Edinburgh vet school hopefully to put my mind at ease but was wondering if anyone had any experience of an older bunny being a bit boney after a less than ideal start in life.

Last edited:
My Inca is a skinny girl, she has had a rough start too. I found Protexin Pro Fibre pellets good for getting weight on her. Now I just give her them now and again. They are expensive but they worked well for Inca.

Thanks for this Kermit I'd never heard of these before but will try to get some.

We went to the vet yesterday and apparently his teeth are quite long at the back so the vet thinks he's been eating slower and Honey has been scoffing most of the food. He's going in for a dental today and hopefully this will sort him out. If not he'll need to have bloods done to check his liver and kidney function.

I was very impressed with the vet school. The vet we spoke to told me to bring Honey in as well and they'll allow them to stay within sight and smell of each other after he's had his op and when he's come round they'll allow them to have a bit of time out together so the bond doesn't break.

Thanks for this Kermit I'd never heard of these before but will try to get some.

We went to the vet yesterday and apparently his teeth are quite long at the back so the vet thinks he's been eating slower and Honey has been scoffing most of the food. He's going in for a dental today and hopefully this will sort him out. If not he'll need to have bloods done to check his liver and kidney function.

I was very impressed with the vet school. The vet we spoke to told me to bring Honey in as well and they'll allow them to stay within sight and smell of each other after he's had his op and when he's come round they'll allow them to have a bit of time out together so the bond doesn't break.

Hope all goes well with his Dental xx

Good luck x

When Herbie was at the vet school they let me take in Inca and they just put them in together for the whole time.

The wee man had his dental today and is coming round fine.

Apparently he had a molar missing at the back and so the opposite one had nothing to wear down on. The vet suggests he goes home for 8 weeks and hopefully he'll put on weight and then we should think about having the tooth removed.

I'm glad he is doing OK.

If you are getting pro-fibre then Animed are the cheapest at the moment at £9.50 including delivery.

Back