• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Minnie is very poorly (GI stasis)

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Minnie (my Windwhistle Warren girlie) is in stasis. She is currently hospitalised and receiving everything my vets can throw at her.

It started on Tuesday evening when she refused her tea, although at that point she was still active and alert. Her tummy was tense and quiet, but she wasn't gassy. Her hydration levels were OK. She was put on Emeprid, Zantac and Vetergesic. Minnie gets very stressed, so initially it was decided that the best option was for us to treat her at home, rather than for her to be hospitalised, so we came home with all the necessary meds.

There was no improvement throughout yesterday, so I took her back to the vets and they kept her in. Her tummy was extremely tense and her guts were silent. :cry: A blockage wasn't suspected, but she was xrayed (consciously) straight away to make absolutely sure. The xray came back clear, it just showed food and faeces in her system. She's receiving IV fluids and is being aggressively treated for stasis with the maximum doses to try and kickstart her system again. They have also increased her pain relief. Cisapride has been added into the mix (which was the drug that dragged Bentley from death's door) and also Windeze.

I spoke to the vet on duty late last night and he said she had been to the water bowl for a drink on her own, which was encouraging, but up to this morning she still hadn't passed any poos or eaten for herself. She remains a very poorly girl. :cry: I'm expecting another update shortly and I am hoping that there will be some signs of improvement,

Bentley is with her and he is doing his best to make his girl better with lots of grooming.

If anyone has any spare vibes for Minnie, they would be very much appreciated.

Sending all the vibes I have for Minnie :love: come on sweetie get better you need to be home with mummy and Bentley

Bee sends a gentle nose rub and offers some of his noms xx

Sending good vibes for Minnie, it's awful seeing them essentially starve themselves. My bun has been in stasis for nearly a week now.

I hope you see a change in Minnie soon.

Minnie is still in hospital, but it looks like she is starting to move in the right direction.

I went to see her last night and take some more of her favourite foods. She looked much brighter and more alert. She had passed a few very small poos, so things are now starting to move again. She went over and had a sniff at a strawberry leaf and picked it up, but she didn't eat any of it. At least she was starting to show an interest. The problem is that you can't leave tempting foods in the pen for her because Bentley is so big (he's a conti) and greedy that he is just going around hoovering everything up. The nurses are spending time with them and tempting Minnie with food, whilst distracting Bentley and keeping him busy with other things. Separating them isn't an option as Minnie would be too stresed.

I've just had another update, Minnie has nibbled a bit of hay on her own and is starting to resist the syringe feeds. They are going to miss the next feed and see if they can get her to eat a little bit of food on her own. She's still on the same cocktail of meds, which seem to be working well for her. Her poos are still very small and the vets would like to see more of them before she can come home. She might come home tonight, but it depends on her progress throughout the day.

Thanks again for all the vibes. xx

Hope all is going well Tracy with Minnie. My eldest Kirkby boy Bertie has been poorly the last few weeks and all we've wanted to see is him get back to his normal self, eating, pooing, binkying and generally enjoying life. He's showing some signs of coming out of the woods and insists we send all his spare bunny vibes for Minnie.

My new windwhistle boy Norman pig who has brought us an awful lot of luck since he came to us back in May also sends his along with the rest of the Southmill gang - Benny and Laura.

Carol, Southmill Bunnies and Piggies xx

Sending {{vibes}} to you and your bun, I am going through the same problem at the moment with Crunchie, she is in stasis. Its killing me seeing her like this so know how you are feeling. I hope everything works out with Minnie, and sending hugs to you too, cos I know how hard it can be for us bunny mummy's xx

Back