• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit has turned nasty

karen11

New Kit
I have a 14 week old female rabbit, she was friendly. I got a 8 week old female rabbit and the 14week old got into the 8 week olds cage and attacked her. Since then the 14week old rabbit won't let us touch her, she circles the 8 week olds cage.
What can I do?

Hi :wave:

I imagine neither are spayed as they are so young?

With rabbits you can't just plonk them together, the older rabbit has had her territory invaded and doesn't like it.

What size is the cage? Shop bought ones are never big enough and rabbits need a space of at least 6 x 2 x 2, but for indoor rabbits a puppy pen is good. Of course they need time outside it as well. Maybe shove loads of hay in to keep one or the other occupied.

Are you sure they are both girls? Definitely keep them separate as one may well be a boy. The older one may still be aggressive with you if you have been with the other because she can smell her but when the hormones have died down after a spay it should get easier.

My advice is keep them well away from each other, have them spayed when they are old enough and wait 6 - 8 weeks then you can try bonding them. I will warn you though, female/female bonds don't always work but that's not to say it won't. The best pairing for rabbits is a neutered boy/spayed girl. You might find a rescue near you that will help with bonding or finding them both partners.

hello there and welcome

I agree with what aly&poppy has said. And give the 14 week old one time - dont attempt to pick her or stroke her for a little while, build up the trust with you again slowly. And is there anyway you can move their accommodation so they dont see each other until they are old enough to be spayed?

What are their names btw?

hello there and welcome

I agree with what aly&poppy has said. And give the 14 week old one time - dont attempt to pick her or stroke her for a little while, build up the trust with you again slowly. And is there anyway you can move their accommodation so they dont see each other until they are old enough to be spayed?

What are their names btw?

The 14 week is called Rosie and the 8 week is Remie: Thanks for your advice:wave:

lovely names by the way. Havent heard of Remie before! we have a list on this forum of rabbit names and I suspect that isnt on there (yet) but i cant remember who does the list etc.

any more questions, feel free to ask!

Rosie keeps trying to attack Remie, so I cover up the cage of the rabbit not out. Rosie lays besides Remies cage and jumps on top

Can you have them in different rooms? You can make a barrier of plywood to stop them getting to each other but the smell of another rabbit is enough to drive one of them, if not both crazy. They are jam packed full of hormones and all they can smell is another rabbit in 'their' territory. You'll have to see your vet about spaying, some do it at 4 months, others 6 months :)

Spays can vary in price, but I would say it's cheaper than if one of them bites the other and causes some damage worthy of a GA and stitches. You need to be really careful with what happens now, if something like that happens then it could muck up the chances of a bond happening after spaying.

:wave:

Back