• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Combined Vaccine Question

Michelleox

Mama Doe
Sorry if it’s been covered before but me and my vet were chatting about the new combined vaccine and she showed me the leaflet that comes with it and it said something about it not being given to buns that have had the single jabs of Myxi/VHD previously. I SWEAR that it was it said.

My mum went to her vet (who is just as good) and he actually called the manufacturer’s rep and asked. The rep said that it is fine to give.

I’m a bit confuzzled, can someone just put me straight.

It is fine to give. It has been discussed before if you have a look through via the search function.

Yes, someone has mentioned this to me as well and has made me incredibly concerned.

"Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination."

Is what it says on the NOAH website, which seems to back up what has been said so will go and look at the thread on here now and see what has been dicussed.

Yes, someone has mentioned this to me as well and has made me incredibly concerned.

"Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination."

Is what it says on the NOAH website, which seems to back up what has been said so will go and look at the thread on here now and see what has been dicussed.

ah!Thats is what i read - yes! :? :? :?

In essence - this doesn't seem to apply in the UK, because the previous myxi vaccine in the UK, unlike mainland europe, wasn't made from myxi and relied on cross-immunity, so technically, UK buns haven't been previously vaccinated with another myxomatosis vaccine.

There are a few circumstances where an initial separate booster of VHD vaccine is required on the first time the new combi vaccine is used, but these are, as I understand it, limited to occasions where a UK bun has either had myxomatosis previously or has somehow been vaccinated with the european vaccine AND has not previously had the VHD vaccine.

i was told that its fine, but we couldnt get the combi vac this time as they had already had their myxi and not the vhd, but next year we are deffo getting the combi, a lot less stress for my bubs xx

Back