• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to get a urine sample from a rabbit!!

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Alice needs to provide a urine sample for the vet.
She goes in her litter tray which is lined with care fresh, it soaks straight in.
How on earth do I get her wee in to the bottle lol?!

Were you given a syringe? Do you have an area in your house that is hard floor rather than carpeted? For Poppy we were recommended to have her in for a play and watch her carefully then suck any wee up with syringe and squirt it into the bottle - easier said than done!!

Let us know how you get on xx

This is something I've never had to do before. Getting a sample from a cat can be hard enough. I would use an empty (cleaned & dry) litter tray or put her in an empty carrier until she produces - keep watching until she does- then immediately syringe or pipette urine into a sample bottle before it gets trodden all over. Use anything (cleaned out & empty) that will suck up small volumes - small squeezy bottle, eye dropper, teaspoon - or ask at a chemist / vet for a 5ml? syringe. I assume you have a suitable sample bottle to put it in. GP surgeries hand them out - just don't tell them it's for a rabbit. Good luck.

Bink
Were you given a syringe? Do you have an area in your house that is hard floor rather than carpeted? For Poppy we were recommended to have her in for a play and watch her carefully then suck any wee up with syringe and squirt it into the bottle - easier said than done!!

Thanks I thought this was the best idea to!
Only place was the kitchen as keeping the bathroom neutral for bonding. Unfortunately we have the units that rabbits can hide underneath, she's just sat under there since we got back from the vets at 9! If she's wee'd under there then there's no way my arm will stretch far enough to get it!

Going to take the carefresh out her litter tray so hopefully she will go in there while its empty so can suck it up!

Wish me luck, sounds like I'm gonna need it!!

Put her litter tray down empty? She should wee in it as that's what she's used to and then hey presto, just suck it up. With a syringe, that is :shock: :lol: or simply just pour. Easy! :thumb: (not!) :lol:

Back