• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rescued a wild rabbit hit by a car

Katastrophe

Young Bun
Daft thing I am, but look at him...

photo.jpg

:love: :(

I was driving home this evening and saw him lying in the road, I thought he was dead but as I drove past he tried to sit up and run away. I turned round and went back for him, poor bun was trying to drag himself out the road every time a car came past but his back legs won't move so he was just turning round on the floor. Couldn't leave him there so like a narner I was stood waving cars to go round him 'til it was clear and then picked him up with plastic sheeting. I lay him on it in the back of my car which is where the pic came from but he had other ideas. He only looks young and is so alert otherwise.

Poor thing though I didn't know rabbits in pain could make such a hideous noise - obviously when I picked him up he was terrified and started squealing. :cry:

We're taking him to the vets at 9 as the vet is out til then...I've not got much hope at all because he's obviously got spinal damage, but he's just such a cutie. Couldn't leave him to get run over or eaten and die on the road. At the moment he's in the car though 'cos my little Alfie hasn't had his jabs.

:thumb: Well done for picking the little fellow up, you've made me smile,i bet others were just driving past him
He is a little stunner :love::love::love:

aww:love: such a cutie i know its probably gonna be a sad ending but its always worth a try and it be better than getting squished :(

Good on you, poor wee thing. I had a similar situation recently near my flat and people were saying just put it in the bush and leave it to die!!!! How would they like to be left in the cold wet and in pain to die!! We couldnt leave the poor thing and drove it to an OOH vet to end his pain. I cried like a baby all the way home. It was if it had happened to one of my animals. Sending vibes bunnies way :love:

Thank you all for the vibes and comments. Bad news though I'm afraid. :(

The vet poked and prodded but you could see in his (or her!) back where the car had hit him, no feeling in the back legs so we had to leave little bun with the vet to be PTS :cry: Least there was no squealing this time when the vet picked him up, it really is one of the worst sounds I've heard. Poor little thing seemed to have calmed down a bit which is good at least. Such a shame because apart from his back legs he was really lively and alert, such a gorgeous bun. :(:(

Binky free little wildie xxx

Poor little baby! Was there no way of helping him, like using those bike things that they attach so the animal can walk again? Probably a stupid question.

Poor little baby! Was there no way of helping him, like using those bike things that they attach so the animal can walk again? Probably a stupid question.

He was a wildie, it would have been very cruel to do that. He would have been terrified. Letting him pass in a humane manner was the kindest thing for him

RIP Wildie xx

Poor thing :cry: At leaste he's safe now, and free from pain. Bless him. :love:

Might I just ask, whilst we're on the subject - if you find a wild animal that needs veterinary attention, who pays the bills? I assume it's us?

Poor thing :cry: At leaste he's safe now, and free from pain. Bless him. :love:

Might I just ask, whilst we're on the subject - if you find a wild animal that needs veterinary attention, who pays the bills? I assume it's us?

At my vets its free.....I've taken several injured birds and a myxi wildie there and never been charged.

He was a wildie, it would have been very cruel to do that. He would have been terrified. Letting him pass in a humane manner was the kindest thing for him

RIP Wildie xx

I agree with this ^^

A very young one - treat (although not sure about as serious an injury as you described), but not one used to "their" world
Having seen my wildie's behaviour - I don't think they settle well "caged". Mine's in an aviary now with domestics, but when I separated him to get him first-spayed, & then neutered (yes, i know), he didn't do well confined at all & paced continuously, lost weight & was generally a stress head.

RIP lickle wildie:cry:

Back