• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with bun with vision impairment

Geoff's people

Alpha Buck
Hi guys i have this in health as well, but no replies and am off out in the next hour to collect so kinda need a few pointers:D

For those of you with buns with a vision impairment, could you please advise and to what measures I would need to make the life of a wonky little nethie with only one eye easier?

She has a friend who is being handed over with her (was originally to be sold seperately but I begged him to keep them together and he agreed to sign over the pair!)
I don't know yet how the eye was lost, but as she also has a wonky leg I am assuming it was either a birth defect or a trauma in the nest. This man didn't breed them so I am unsure if we will ever be able to find out.

The hutch and run prepared has runaround pipe instead of a ramp (I figured whiskers would help here and a ramp would be a fall risk??)
The hutch part has been darkened for the time being so they can withdraw to total privacy if they so wish.

ANy advice would be most greatfully appreciated

Thank you x

I have three visually impaired bunnies, and previously had one with sight in one eye, but not the other. My three blind bunnies are fine with ramps and need no other adjustments, other than one of the is very anxious so bonding her was hard and her friend always has to smell of himself (not ever of another bunny if I have held one of them first and then hold her friend).

My one with sight in one eye used to always turn to the direction of the seeing eye which could potentially have caused more problems with a ramp.

Really you'll need to see and meet them and then assess the needs. They may have no additional needs, they may have lots.

Good luck.

Just don't move things around too much. If everything stays the same they learn their way around and can charge about like any other rabbit. For Grim, touch is very important. If I'm around him I stroke him as I walk past so he knows where I am.

Concur with not moving things around unless absolutely essential. I would also talk to the little bun so they know you are around. If I forget to let Pumpkin know its me entering my kitchen he kind of freaks and runs into everything. Not good.

Pumpkin has very poor sight one side and slightly better the other, he seems to prefer it if you let him sniff your hand before stroking his better side before stroking his less visually good side. He hates sudden noises. Rain and wind really bother him when he has decided to pop outdoors, Pumpkin prefers to use the top of his two storey hutch since I twigged and used a tarp over the wire side to keep snug from both.

He does not like things that cause 'reflections'. I think that may be down to the sight he still has is not clear and it may look like the sudden move of a predator to him.

Food is the best 'get to know you' bribe I have. Save the special food treats for when you can spend some time simply just being there so your voice gets associted with nice things.

Well done for thinking what would help your new rabbit to settle in

Back