• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 bonded does booked in for spay quick question!

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Just booked B&B in for their spay on 27 July, so so nervous :(

My worry is that they have a hutch with a ramp and I'm not sure whether to close off the downstairs or not. The thing is, they scamper up/down the ramp ungraciously at the best of times. I don't want them hurting themselves.

If I close the ramp off they will have the upstairs for both of them. They obviously wouldn't have much space, enough for separation if they feel they don't want to be close but not any hopping around room really.

Should I separate - one upstairs one down or will that risk the bond?

Any advice much appreciated :wave:

I would keep them together but close off the top and keep them in there. I used that hutch when Donny and Lola were bonded and Donny is about the size of your 2 put together :lol: and they stayed in the top part for 2 days :) I didn't feel too bad because it's nice and tall :) it will be easier to keep an eye on the towel/blanket in case that needs changing :)

Obviously hay needs to be in hay racks and if they have their litter tray then be careful of the sides in case they catch themselves :) don't use hay in the litter tray, I used shredded newspaper which worked fine, you just have to keep an eye on them eating it! :lol:

They'll be fine :wave: I was worried about both of mine, Poppy was 4 years old and I was so scared! But I knew it was better for her :) she's even better with her litter tray now :) :love:

I would keep them together but close off the top and keep them in there. I used that hutch when Donny and Lola were bonded and Donny is about the size of your 2 put together :lol: and they stayed in the top part for 2 days :) I didn't feel too bad because it's nice and tall :) it will be easier to keep an eye on the towel/blanket in case that needs changing :)

Obviously hay needs to be in hay racks and if they have their litter tray then be careful of the sides in case they catch themselves :) don't use hay in the litter tray, I used shredded newspaper which worked fine, you just have to keep an eye on them eating it! :lol:

They'll be fine :wave: I was worried about both of mine, Poppy was 4 years old and I was so scared! But I knew it was better for her :) she's even better with her litter tray now :) :love:

Thanks Aly, I'm just so ruddy nervous!! My poor little girls they'll wonder why I'm putting them through it!

Didn't think about the litter tray, thanks for that I'll make sure the corners are covered somehow! This is probably a very stuipd question :oops: but.... do they chew towels? :lol: I have 2 chewers and I'm wanting to put a towel or old blanket in for them so they're comfortable but I'm worried they'll eat it! :lol: they eat everything in sight.... :roll:

They have a hay rack already so that should be ok... :thumb:

They have straw in their litter tray because they actually ingest newspaper :shock: it literally goes missing and I was worried about blockages! Will the straw be OK?

Thanks again :wave:

sounds cruel but less space is better as they have less chance of popping their wound open :thumb:

Thanks Aly, I'm just so ruddy nervous!! My poor little girls they'll wonder why I'm putting them through it!

Didn't think about the litter tray, thanks for that I'll make sure the corners are covered somehow! This is probably a very stuipd question :oops: but.... do they chew towels? :lol: I have 2 chewers and I'm wanting to put a towel or old blanket in for them so they're comfortable but I'm worried they'll eat it! :lol: they eat everything in sight.... :roll:

They have a hay rack already so that should be ok... :thumb:

They have straw in their litter tray because they actually ingest newspaper :shock: it literally goes missing and I was worried about blockages! Will the straw be OK?

Thanks again :wave:

Just think about the benefits of it :love: it's so much better for them in the long run :D and they won't fall out! :thumb:

Just use a towel in the litter tray then :wave: I did that with Poppy :) you can keep an eye on their out goings then! :lol: Things like straw and hay can agitate their wounds so it's best not to use those until its healed up a bit :D I think I used hay again after 5 days for Lola, half of her litter tray was towel and newspaper and then she had a handful of hay at the front :)

Lola chewed the blanket but didn't with the towel, it was a fairly thin on but she just dug it a bit. Might be an idea to experiment with some things now? I thought about getting a soft cat bed for Lola, just a cheap one in case she peed on it for comfort :) maybe you could leave the floor as it is and have their litter tray/bed/towel in the bed area :D I left it bare for Lola, she chewed the seperator a bit but she was fine :D I took the partition out so I could get the litter tray in for her :)

:D

Just think about the benefits of it :love: it's so much better for them in the long run :D and they won't fall out! :thumb:

Just use a towel in the litter tray then :wave: I did that with Poppy :) you can keep an eye on their out goings then! :lol: Things like straw and hay can agitate their wounds so it's best not to use those until its healed up a bit :D I think I used hay again after 5 days for Lola, half of her litter tray was towel and newspaper and then she had a handful of hay at the front :)

Lola chewed the blanket but didn't with the towel, it was a fairly thin on but she just dug it a bit. Might be an idea to experiment with some things now? I thought about getting a soft cat bed for Lola, just a cheap one in case she peed on it for comfort :) maybe you could leave the floor as it is and have their litter tray/bed/towel in the bed area :D I left it bare for Lola, she chewed the seperator a bit but she was fine :D I took the partition out so I could get the litter tray in for her :)

:D

Mine have a little corner litter tray in the "bedroom". I think I'll put a flanel in it :lol: that will cover the corners and give them somewhere to do their stuff...

Thanks for the advice, again, feel much calmer now :D

Back