• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbit has never been with another rabbit

CarrotEater

Young Bun
My rabbit is 2 years old. He has always been on his own in his hutch so do you think it's safe to keep it that way or can I get another rabbit to put with him?

I think most bunnies do benefit from having a companion :) Although they can be perfectly happy on their own, they're social animals, and a human can never replace the company of another rabbit. As you've mentioned that your bunny is a little insecure around you I reckon it might be a good idea for her/him to have a friend, my boy was really skittish when he was on his own but since bonding with Bella he's become a lot more confident :)

He's still only young, considering that rabbits can live to 10 years, that's a very long time to be alone when his instincts is to be with others of his kind. It's true that some rabbits never get on with other rabbits, but that's not very common and you don't know unless you try.

You need to get him neutered first before introducing any rabbits or he'll just fight them. With bonding, you could look for rescues who do bonding for you as their rabbits would already be neutered and they'll have more choice of females for him to chose.

Then keep him alone & don't spend money on another rabbit

This exactly. It would be crazy....and irresponsible to get another rabbit when you can't afford to have yours neutered. They would either fight and horrible injure themselves (which will possibly bring HUGE vets bills) or breed. and let's face it....there are more than enough rabbits being bred badly and without proper genetic consideration.

Getting my rabbit neutered is £50. Feeding a rabbit and looking after them for a week costs around £7. See the price difference? I am perfectly capable of looking after another rabbit.

Getting my rabbit neutered is £50. Feeding a rabbit and looking after them for a week costs around £7. See the price difference? I am perfectly capable of looking after another rabbit.

Yes but what if one or both of them is ill?? Vet bills soon mount up, I have spent £1500 on my 4 buns in 18 months at the vets alone!!! If you can't afford neutering then you can't afford to take them to the vets if they're sick :(

That may be so...but if he isn't neutered you shouldnt get another rabbit to put with him. They will either fight or breed. It really is that simple. Both of which will cost more in the long run than the initial neuter. Save the £7 a week and get him neutered.

without them both being neutered you would most likely end up with fight wounds to have to take to the vet to stitch up and that would cost a LOT more than the neuter cost. Being able to afford to feed another bunny is really a minimal financial concern. Can you afford the vaccinations for a second rabbit, and have you consider that you will have twice as many possible vets bills. If you only have a hutch(no permenantly attached run?) You will really need to upgrade his/their potential space as well.
There are more factors to consider than just being able to feed the new rabbit basically is what I am saying.

Where about are you located?

There are some good surgery's that do cheaper deals on neutering and spaying and do payment plans if you struggle with money

We found one by doing a bit of searching and researching and they neuter for £30 and spay for £45 and the care they give is second to none!!

And feeding another rabbit for 10 weeks will cost you 70 pounds.
20 pounds more than neutering the one you already have.

:thumb: If you can't afford £50 as a one-off (about the same price as buying another rabbit, incidentally!) then it sounds as if you wouldn't be able to afford a vets visit if you needed one, so personally I don't think it would be fair of you to get another rabbit right now.

If you can afford the £7 a week extra it may cost in food, then I would suggest saving those £7 for a while until you can afford to get your boy neutered, and then reconsider once that is done and you can see how your finances are looking.

Even if it will be a while before you get him a friend, he will need to be neutered anyway so it is better to do the operation when he is still young and healthy. If you put an unneutered male with another male rabbit they will fight very seriously and you are likely to end up with huge vet bills and I have known rabbits die from these injuries - it is really not to be understated. And if you put him with an unneutered female, then you will get babies which sounds cute, but even people who breed 'professionally' will tell you that it costs money - not least because you will need to separate them while mum raises the babies - so you will need two hutches, again costing more than £50 to sort out decent sized hutches.

For his long-term welfare I would recommend saving up those £7 you can afford until you can get him neutered, and then having a think after that. Good luck :D

Back