• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing a Giant Bunny

fishingwidow

New Kit
Hi,
We lost are bunny dusty at the end of last year :cry: , we have waited before getting a new bunny till we were defiantly ready and now are. We would love to have a giant rabbit so I am gathering info at the minute and would love any advice on how best to house them when we have them. We live in a flat so they will mainly be a house bunny however we have a large balcony that is very sheltered and thought we would place the house on there so the bunny had the fresh air and extra space when we are not in. We have looked at many types of housing but really cannot decide what would be best so if you guys have any ideas it would be very appreciated.

Thanks x

Hi, Im sorry for your lost

You could look on this website: http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/largerabbithutches.html

A single storey hutch would be best with an extended height and width (larger than 2 foot high and wide so there is more room being a larger breed)

You could try the 3Ft x 3Ft model in either 6ft or 7ft

This company make good quality strong hutches- i have the activity hutch in 6ft double it is very sturdy and reasonably priced compared to other places on the market.

Hope this helps! <3 Good luck with your new rabbit!

Forgot to mention there is also free postage! you could look at other companies too such as ryedale hutches and the happy hutch company

Hope this helps! :)

Hutches won't really cut it for giants. Shed and aviary are best :wave: if not an aviary then I think runs need to be 3ft high :) BUT that's for outdoor ;)

Indoor for big buns is great :thumb: and a balcony shelter, maybe a dog kennel? :wave: that would be a good idea if bun isn't going to be shut in anything :) and make sure you mesh the balcony! Don't want any superman wannabe buns! :lol:

Edit: and a roof of sorts on the balcony, obviously they jump! :lol: might just be easier to bunny proof your flat because they need plenty of space :) as does any rabbit. Then the balcony can be something for when you are in :wave:

Last edited:
If you want a giant I recommend free range house rabbits. There's no other way you can ensure they have enough space!

Just because a rabbit is housed indoors does not always mean it will have more space (Not everyone can leave them free- range)

My two giants live in a 8x6 summer house with 6ft x 5ft run and are let out daily for a run around the yard. They tend to only stay out for an hour or so and then go back of their own accord so I know they are content with what I have provided.

If you are thinking of enclosing a large balcony then do an image search for 'catios'.
This may provide you with some inspiration.
They are commonly used in some states in Oz I believe.

Hutches won't really cut it for giants. Shed and aviary are best :wave: if not an aviary then I think runs need to be 3ft high :) BUT that's for outdoor ;)

Indoor for big buns is great :thumb: and a balcony shelter, maybe a dog kennel? :wave: that would be a good idea if bun isn't going to be shut in anything :) and make sure you mesh the balcony! Don't want any superman wannabe buns! :lol:

Edit: and a roof of sorts on the balcony, obviously they jump! :lol: might just be easier to bunny proof your flat because they need plenty of space :) as does any rabbit. Then the balcony can be something for when you are in :wave:

Good post :)

Back