• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Q for Bunny Boarders?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
If, for example, a bunny in your care stops eating and you spend a whole day trying to get them going again, including a vet trip, apart from the owner paying the vet bills would you expect any additional compensation or do you consider it part of the costs that have already been paid for boarding? My Daisy stopped eating for a day while I was away last week and the bunny boarder spent from 8am untill 11pm (when she eventually started eating) looking after her. I'm just curious to know what you would expect or what is the norm?

The reason I use a bunny boarder is because I want the best possible care taken of my bunny in my absence. I expect boarders to spot the signs of something not being right and deal with it in the way I would, whatever it takes. Apart from accommodation, feeding and cleaning, spotting problems and dealing with them properly is what I feel I pay for. The actual spending of time dealing with the problem I don't consider part of the normal boarding fees and should be compensated in some way, what are your feelings on this?

Hi there. Firstly, I'm glad to hear that Daisy recovered well. It sounds like you've found yourself a really good bunny boarder there!

We also run a boarding facility (www.vipiggies.co.uk) and we have, on occasion, had to intensively nurse a bunny through a period of not eating. As far as we're concerned, that this is what our customers pay us for, it's all part of the service.

We do state on all of our literature and on our website that we reserve the right to charge extra for intensive nursing, but we have never actually done so. I know this sounds a bit twee, but just handing the bunny back to their owners recovered, happy and healthy is enough reward for us!

In the past, we have been given chocolates, wine or flowers as a token of a customer's appreciation when their bun has been poorly in our care, and such lovely gestures are always welcome.

Tracey

Thanks for replying!

Yes Kate from Happy Bunnies Holidays was great! She's actually a part time vet nurse which helps! I had left some basic meds and instructions on their behaviour etc and she followed my instructions to the letter, keeping me informed the whole time and discussing the next course of action as it happened which is just what I needed! it's a terrible feeling being away from when they are poorly!

It's interesting to hear you feel it is part of the service looking after them but knowing bunnies it's very stressful and quite intensive trying to get them going again and can take over your life, Kate lost a day looking after Daisy I was so grateful but a bit embarrassed!

I'm so glad Daisy is better :)

When I've had bunnies here (which has mostly been for bonding), then I treat them as my own, and would do, for any bunny on my premises, the same as I would for my own (obviously with the owners permissions where relevant). So, for me, nursing, when necessary, is part of that role- all the nursing I gave Hay Monster didn't change when he belonged to someone else, than when he belonged to me. If I were to board I would consider it the same too, but would probably reserve the right, like teejay, to charge extra if necessary.

Thanks Sky-O :D This is the second time Daisy has done this at boarding, the first time she actually had a small blockage and was hospitalised!! This time was obviously not so bad and the only thing I can think of is that maybe stress played a part in it?! But who knows with these funny little fluffsters!

On another note an excited Amanda called me at lunch to look at pictures of her official new baby Squeak!! Gorgeous :love: looks like he's settled in really well :D

Last edited:
Back