• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing to move house with my 6 bunnies advice needed?

andy5898

Warren Scout
I am about to move house with my 6 bunnies, we are thinking instead of stressing them and us out to send them off to there holiday camp they go too for a few days so they don't have the stress of waiting for us to the get the hutches and playhouse in position for them whilst they are sat in carriers. What do people think does that seem sensible?

Also do we need to do anything special for them when we move, we thought we would keep all their bedding etc in the hutches so when they come home it smells just like it did at the old house, is there anything else we can do to make it as unstressful as possible for them?

Cheers

I think that's a good idea :wave: They wouldn't think of it as anything scary then if they have already been there :) Not sure about the bedding thing but that might help too :) I know when I moved our hamster from the smaller cage to the ZZ2 I kept the bedding and everything the same and she was fine so it would probably work the same way with rabbits :)

Bunny boarding is the way to go when you move house.
It removes time pressures & if you have any disasters then they can always board for a day or two longer until everything is sorted out.

I dont know, boarding will be a new place and therefore stressful. my buns are familiar with their carrier as i put it in their run for them to jump in.

is there anyway of moving their hutches last and then letting them bit of free range time whilst someone else is setting up, ie minimum time in the carrier?

I dont know, boarding will be a new place and therefore stressful. my buns are familiar with their carrier as i put it in their run for them to jump in.

is there anyway of moving their hutches last and then letting them bit of free range time whilst someone else is setting up, ie minimum time in the carrier?

OP said they have been there before :wave:

andy5898 said:
I am about to move house with my 6 bunnies, we are thinking instead of stressing them and us out to send them off to there holiday camp they go too for a few days so they don't have the stress of waiting for us to the get the hutches and playhouse in position for them whilst they are sat in carriers. What do people think does that seem sensible?

I should think boarding, even if at a new place, would be far less stressful than the majority of a day being stuck in a carrier.

I should think it would take a decent amount of time to disassemble, move, and then reassemble hutches and playhouses in a new position.

I would definitely put them in boarding :thumb:

As I read your post, Andy, they already go to this bunny boarding place so it will be comparitively familiar to them? I think that's definitely the way to do it - it takes the stress off you as well as the buns.

And yes, I think keeping the bedding (or at least some of it) is a good idea.

Good luck with the move. :thumb:

no stress

hi. im prinnie and i moved last w/end with 4 bunnies 4 chooks and the cat. my animals are free range but are tame and used to cages and carriers. i put all the bunnies in a big cage and moved all the animals at the same time. at the new house i put the cage and the chooks in a small yard so they could all see each other. the cat was in the carrier and could see everything to. i then continued moving and after a few hrs i checked the fencelines and made sure there were no deadly plants and then i just let them out. they all explored the yard together and they loved it. no stress. lots of binkies! lol. of course the bunnies found a way into the bigger yard and now have the run of the place. bunnies like to be included in anything that you do so pack em up and go. they be right. good luck :wave:

Boarding sounds like a good plan - moving is stressful enough without having to rush to get hutches set up.

Boarding would definitely be less stressful, in my opinion. Not only for the bunnies, but for you as well!

Moving days are seriously hard work on all involved and you will feel better knowing your bunnies are stretched out relaxing, rather than sat in a carrier wondering at all the loud noises etc.

Good luck with the move x

Back