• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant British Rabbit.

Razargh

New Kit
Hey guys, I'm Martin and i'm currently looking to purchase a British Giant but can't seem to find anywhere near me who breed or sell. I live in Hereford (Herefordshire) Anyone able to give some pointers on where abouts to look?

Hello

This site is not really geared toward Breeders selling Rabbits as it is a pro Rescue site, promoting the rehoming of all the tens of thousands of unwanted Rabbits in Rescues all over the UK.

Have you done a search on the Rabbit Rehome part of this site ?

Here are a few

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/search.asp?inlocation=&RabAge=&RabSex=&RabBond=%&breed=3

If you still decide to obtain a Rabbit from a Breeder then the British Rabbit Council have contact details of Breeders. HOWEVER, their list is no real guarantee of how 'good' the individual Breeder may be. All you need to be a member of the BRC is the ability to pay a subscription.

http://www.thebrc.org/breeders-list.htm

Good luck :)

Ooh their are some lovely big boys and girls in rescues - lots of peole don't understand their needs or just how big they get!

Good luck in finding your bunny.

A lot of the Wakefield rescue that's going on at the minute seem to be giants....not 100% sure what a british giant looks like but it's worth a try looking at that thread and seeing which rescues are involved, then having a look at the buns they have.

I've seen 2 rescues take on giants, couple of NZW crosses and some other giant breed (not sure what type but they had MASSIVE ears and are currently nursing kits so the babies will be available once neutered)

Ohhh how exciting :love:

I suggest looking in the rescue/rehoming centres - there are a lot of bunnies needing loving homes xxxx

my geography isnt brilliant as to how far herefordshire is from yorkshire but DYLAN on the link Jack's jane sent really stood out to me - simply gorgeous!!!:love:

Thanks for your help guys. I don't mind re-homing a rabbit there are some beautiful ones on that site but sadly just too far away.

I hope you are able to find yourself the Rabbit you are looking for!

Though, one thing that's always bothered me on forums, is when they overdue the whole 'rescue' thing. I all am for the rescue of animals, I mean, most my animals have been rescued, and I volunteer at the local Animal Shelters, but when someone wants to go to a breeder for an animal, and are asking for a breeder, why push the rescue option at them? If someone wants to go to a breeder, why not help them find a responsible breeder? I know in the past when I've looked for a breeder on forums, and everyone is telling me to go to rescue, that it got annoying fast, especially when in some circumstances I do not want to get a rescued animal. While this may not bother or be the case with the OP ... just something to think about. Like I said, I'm all for rescue, but sometimes people do not wish to go that route; especially if they want to know where their animal is coming from, it's heritage, want to breed themselves, or show, etc. ;)

Thanks for your help guys. I don't mind re-homing a rabbit there are some beautiful ones on that site but sadly just too far away.

we quite often arrange something called a rabbit run on this forum :wave: infact we transport allsorts of animals! I recently had a gerbil brought down from Dundee to the east midlands!

I hope you are able to find yourself the Rabbit you are looking for!

Though, one thing that's always bothered me on forums, is when they overdue the whole 'rescue' thing. I all am for the rescue of animals, I mean, most my animals have been rescued, and I volunteer at the local Animal Shelters, but when someone wants to go to a breeder for an animal, and are asking for a breeder, why push the rescue option at them? If someone wants to go to a breeder, why not help them find a responsible breeder? I know in the past when I've looked for a breeder on forums, and everyone is telling me to go to rescue, that it got annoying fast, especially when in some circumstances I do not want to get a rescued animal. While this may not bother or be the case with the OP ... just something to think about. Like I said, I'm all for rescue, but sometimes people do not wish to go that route; especially if they want to know where their animal is coming from, it's heritage, want to breed themselves, or show, etc. ;)

because this forum doesnt support breeders ;)

yeh, like georgypudding says - pick one you really like the look of, tell us all and the forum people can look into it

wonderfully helpful people on here

So Gus it is.

I havent had to ask for a transport request before but i believe the rescues have to post the request. I would therefore contact the RSPCA in Macclesfield first and speak with them via the number on the site. They can tell you the homecheck etc requirements and process prior to you actually getting the rabbit.

georgeypudding or anyone - do you know if it's worth Razargh also PM'ing Soad? Im trying to be helpful but Im not the expert!!!:lol:

Awww :love: If you can't afford two buns at the moment will you be able to eventually? I don't mean that to sound awful so I'm sorry if it does! I mean as in they are social animals so keeping them on their own is a little unfair unless it's a house rabbit, then it can wait! :D Have you looked into rabbit costs? They can be expensive and are not the cheap and easy pets they are sold as which probably why there as so many in rescues :(

Good luck for your search :wave: I'm sure there is a giant rescue bun out there waiting for you :love:

So Gus it is.

I havent had to ask for a transport request before but i believe the rescues have to post the request. I would therefore contact the RSPCA in Macclesfield first and speak with them via the number on the site. They can tell you the homecheck etc requirements and process prior to you actually getting the rabbit.

georgeypudding or anyone - do you know if it's worth Razargh also PM'ing Soad? Im trying to be helpful but Im not the expert!!!:lol:

Unfortunatly unless Razargh already has another rabbit that rescue will not rehome to him/her :cry: BUT there are a few rabbits out there that need to be rehomed as single rabbits.

Razargh, would you consider a different breed?

Well I have just put a call in for two small Dwarf Rabbits which are at my local RSPCA. If they have been re-homed then I may be able to push and get LJ and Dylan, thankfully costs don't matter to me at the moment just want someone to keep me company.

oh yes, i saw the "single bit" without reading the full story! hahaha:oops:

I am bias and would recommend a nethie dwarf or a dutch! i have them and they are lurvly and their space is bigger for them as they are smaller. It is widely commented that small rabbits can be more aggressive but my pair are really tame. are other differences if ur interested, worth reading..

Well I have just put a call in for two small Dwarf Rabbits which are at my local RSPCA. If they have been re-homed then I may be able to push and get LJ and Dylan, thankfully costs don't matter to me at the moment just want someone to keep me company.

2 rabbits really are much better than 1 ;) but double trouble :lol:

Once you have had your home check and the rabbits are reserved you can PM SOAD and ask for a transport request to be put up on the forum :wave:

Dwarfies :love: I want a dwarf husband for Poppy :lol: I hope it's good news for you :wave:

Back