• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bald ears

Oy you

New Kit
Hi can any one help me i got my male dwarf rabbit just over a month ago he settled in realy well but i have noticed that his ears have started to go bald. I was wondering if any body could tell me if hes just molting or is there something wrong.

does he clean a lot?? He could just be rubbing his ears a bit too much??

also have you checked his ears for mites??

hope this helps xx

First port of call would be a vet check to make sure its not fleas or mites, as mites in particular sometimes cant be seen with the naked eye.

If it isnt parasites it could be overgrooming, which could possibly be as a result of boredom or frustration, so it would also be worth looking at his living area to make sure he has the right diet and eats a lot of hay, that his housing meets the rspca and rwaf minimum standards (they are here: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm ), and that there arent other rabbits that he isnt bonded to nearby that might be upsetting him, some rabbits are more sensitive to this than others, especially if unneutered. If he doesnt have a rabbit bonded to him that can also make life stressful and boring for him, so if he doesnt have one now it would be worth looking for a neutered doe once he is neutered himself. It could also be irritation from some bedding that you are using, perhaps shavings if you use them.

It would be worth getting the vet to have a good look at the skin under the fur too.

He does clean alot i tried to put a photo on but not sure how to do it as im using my iphone so ppl cud c

try giving him some new toys and some new things to get curious about - this may stop him cleaning as much if it is caused by boredom!!

He doesnt seam to b very interrested in much hes got a ball that i fill with hay n he doesnt bother with that i gave him a salt knaw thing n doesnt like that i let him out in my front room n he sits on the fire place n has the occasional smell around him i put his toys out for him n doesnt bother with them i roll them around he just turns away from me i dont know wat else to try

Does the ball have a bell inside??

Mine love their jingle ball and love to throw it around, the noise makes them curious.

Also you could try wicker and seagrass balls as it give them something to rip and chew :)

trust me, he will love it - they love to have things that they are ALLOWED to chew :p

One other thing i didnt mention the bald patches only seem to be were his ears meet when they are relaxed if u no what i mean cud it b caused by heat

Back