• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Death of Wife bunny - how long do i wait for him to grieve and get him a new partner?

Alpha

Warren Scout
Hi All

Its been a while since ive been here, i need some advice, I very sadley lost my beautiful angora girl jojo on friday and its all still very raw :cry:

I just need to do the best now for Mr Pips, i wasnt able to bring the body home for him to understand that she has passed to spirit to be honest i wasnt aware this was needed in order that he can understand and grieve. I am hoping that he knew she was poorly it came as a bit of a shock as i came home to find her struggling to breath it came out of no-where she had been eating and was bright enough in herself. However when they took an x ray said her lungs were full of fluid and was nothing they could do. He may have been aware that she was dying i dont know, he was lay beside her when i found her. They are indoor bunnies and i see them everyday i just didnt see it coming.......I miss her so much. I need to know what do do about getting him a new partner/wife. I dont want him to be lonely he seems fine himself today he is eating ok, and at the moment i have boarders in so he is not alone, he is visiting them as he roams round the garden. I am just worried when he is on his own in his cage at night time he has no-one there......When will i know when he is ready to accept another, i have done some reading and it seems they need time to greive or they wont accept another female.??

Any help and advice it greatly appreciated at this awful time.

thank you all xx

Oh im so sorry to hear this!! :cry:

Maybe take him with you to look at rescue bunnies?? this way you will be able to see his reaction??

you never know he may find another bun he wants to get to know :love:

I'd wait until he starts acting his usual ways though xxxx

Binky free jojo xx
Some bunnies don't seem to be too affected....others go off their food a bit....some go very quiet and withdrawn...others turn aggressive . Bluebells still grieving Bertie who died 17th feb. we found it so hard to find another biggish bun from the rescues...bluebells a frenchie with attitude...she'd need a bunny who could love her but also needed to stand up to her.
Baxter was brought to me by Wendy at the Essex guinea pig and rabbit rescue the day before my mum got admitted into the hospice.

We had him settle in a pen at first but bluebell pet getting in and attacking him so we put him in a Rottweiler sized dog crate and ad little or no contact to let him settle in as he had a long journey and was very nervous. By day two he was ok enought to talk to....a few days could stroke him....meanwhile having him there at all got bluebell to eat again.....especially when she had access to hs food bowl!

Too much stuff as gone on to bond properly yet...but by just being there...baxters helped her slowly handle her grief. They fight and often it's a bun in crate and a bun outand then swap them round. But when scared they huddle up to each other through the bars....when Baxter ad a resp infection...she was always beside him...even washing his ears and tail through the bars.
Just having the company there is so helpful.
Did the buns have a soft cuddly toy between them...or a blanket? Still smelling of the bridge bun ...the item placed with the grieving bunny can sometimes help.
BIF avoided Oscar when he was dying...bandit too......they do know....and sometimes spending time with their dead partner isn't needed as they have already seen and felt the impending death of their husbun or wife bun.
Some buns have to see the body etc...in my experience over the years I've found not all buns need to see the body....they feel the grief and sorrow coming from you and they know.

I am sorry you've lost your lady bun....vibes for mr pips. Hugs for you.
We lost our beloved Bertie in February and it's still raw......hugs xx

I think it depends on the bun. I could tell Buzz was sad straight away after Molly went and bonded him with Lady probably a week or 2 later.

Sorry for your loss x

Thank u all so much for Ur replies and words of comfort. At the moment he doesn't seem to have withdrawn and is still eating, but he has a lot of company at the moment of buns next to him in the next pen.....he is use to these regular guests as they r regular boarders. I think last night the cat tried to comfort him as I had Mr pips snuggled in a towel nxt to me in bed and the cat came up started grooming him and lay with his head snuggled into Mr pips side. I think Mr pip was grateful for the contact as he accepted it where normally he's like the godfather of the house hold, the smallest but the bossiest lol......its strange how animals seem to know, they are all such amazing creatures, its a shame more people don't learn from them....you guys have all been wonderful. Thank you so much for support on this loss of our furbaby.

Back