• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio Bonding???? Bonding a 5yr old Doe with 2 youngsters?

Mollyrose

Warren Scout
My friend has asked me if i would take her Dalmation Rex off her hands, because she can't find the time to look after her anymore with her new job, i am in the process of Bonding my two Neutered/Spayed Belgian Hares (Buck& A Doe 7 and 10 months old) (Made no process so far.. unfortunately, but fingers crossed for the future bonding sessions)

The Dalmation Rex is an intact 5year old Doe. Is there any possibility at all.. that they could be bonded as a Trio?... - Could she be spayed? or is 5yrs too old? .. She used to be paired with her sister, who unfortunately had to be put to sleep a few years ago.

Unrealistic Wishful thinking? .. :? Thanks xx

If the rex were to be spayed there would be a better chance of them bonding. But of course no guarantee. Also bear in mind that sometimes an original bond could be broken leaving you with three separate bunnies.

You know your bunnies best and what you think would work for the best.

Spaying really would be the first thing to consider. This would also eliminate the risk of cancer in her womb. So long as the doe is in good health, then I would not think that 5years old is too old to be spayed. Chat with your vet about any concerns you have.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.:thumb:

If you do decide to get her - get her spayed as soon as you can - it will imrove your chances of bonding them.

Then just try bonding them slowly, let them sniff at each other through the cage bars - where there is no chance of them getting to each other to box, do this for a week or so and if it seems ok, try them together in a neutral territory, keep a close eye on them though just incase they start to box because they will sadly fight to the death :(

Good luck xx

The Belgians could do a lot of damage to the Rex if they were to fight so please bear this in mind. Let us know how things go but I dont think it will work.

Back