• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering, Bunny Personality and GA Questions

Cari

Warren Veteran
This is a completely selfish question and I know he needs neutering but have found out today he hasn't been done, but we've been quite happy the pair of us, Stephen and I.

I love him, I love his personality and he's so well behaved and loving.

I'm just wondering if will he change when he's been neutered apart from no longer circling me (which he didn't really do before - another reason I thought he'd been done)? If he was any calmer he'd practically be asleep!

I just love my little boy. He'll be 2 soon and I'll have had him for a year.

Also, with a good vet is the operation very safe? I've never had a bunny need a GA before, I'm getting worried thinking about it.

I know this has probably all been asked before and I'm sorry, just having a miserable day today.

I can really sympathise. It took me AGES to pluck up the courage to have Spenser done, but usually it is a really straightforward op, especially if you have a good vet. Most bunny boys recover fully and quickly. Neutering is supposed to calm hormones without changing personality. Spenser was never obviously hormonal, but his personality certainly didn't change.

Are you planning to get Stephen a friend? If not and you are happy with him,why castrate him? If you are going to get a friend then I agree with everything Susie bun says. I have had a lot of boys done and they are fine after the op.

Hi :wave:

I know you know all this but I'm going to type it anyway as it might help to have some reassurance & help others reading too ;)

Getting Stephen neutered will ensure that he is more relaxed & less frustrated both now and going forward. You can't ask him if he's happy, if he's bored or lonely but you CAN do as much as possible to limit the possibility of these things. If you don't have him neutered and he is bored, lonely, frustrated (and it's very likely that he is, at least some of the time) you will feel bad :( He is not able to behave as he would in the wild. His environment is nothing like being in the wild. He is a domesticated and much loved pet rabbit who you do not wish to use for breeding and therefore having him neutered is the kindest thing you can do for him.

In addition, whilst he's entire he cannot have a friend of his own kind. If he's neutered, you/he have the choice and choice is always a good thing :thumb: You may *think* he's been happy (and I know he's a much loved bun, that is clear to see) but a human is no substitute for company of his own kind. You cannot communciate with him, snuggle or groom him like another bun can. As someone once said to me, it would be a bit like you spending your life with an elephant, you're both mammals but completely different :)

You now have a recommended & trusted vet. I know sending a bun for an op can be stressful and as with any anaesthetic there are risks but for a boy especially the risks are very small and with the right post op advice & care (which I know you and he will get) he'll soon be bouncing about at home again :thumb:

As for him changing his personality. This can happen to any bun, at any time, irrespective of a neuter but having this op rarely affects their personality. What it often changes is their behaviour i.e. territory marking, humping, humming, aggression (especially in does) etc which as domesticated pet rabbits are all negative things & often signs of frustration/boredom etc :(

Last edited:
I can really sympathise. It took me AGES to pluck up the courage to have Spenser done, but usually it is a really straightforward op, especially if you have a good vet. Most bunny boys recover fully and quickly. Neutering is supposed to calm hormones without changing personality. Spenser was never obviously hormonal, but his personality certainly didn't change.

Thank you (loving the signature!) I'm just worried for him, I know it's fairly quick and simple but he's my baby, I just want him to be safe and happy.

Are you planning to get Stephen a friend? If not and you are happy with him,why castrate him? If you are going to get a friend then I agree with everything Susie bun says. I have had a lot of boys done and they are fine after the op.

Because as per Jen's post above, I don't know whether he is happy or not just with me and I'm not a rabbit. As social creatures he should have a friend, he shouldn't be on his own and it will be better for him. I'm sure he will be fine.

Hi :wave:

I know you know all this but I'm going to type it anyway as it might help to have some reassurance & help others reading too ;)

Getting Stephen neutered will ensure that he is more relaxed & less frustrated both now and going forward. You can't ask him if he's happy, if he's bored or lonely but you CAN do as much as possible to limit the possibility of these things. If you don't have him neutered and he is bored, lonely, frustrated (and it's very likely that he is, at least some of the time) you will feel bad :( He is not able to behave as he would in the wild. His environment is nothing like being in the wild. He is a domesticated and much loved pet rabbit who you do not wish to use for breeding and therefore having him neutered is the kindest thing you can do for him.

In addition, whilst he's entire he cannot have a friend of his own kind. If he's neutered, you/he have the choice and choice is always a good thing :thumb: You may *think* he's been happy (and I know he's a much loved bun, that is clear to see) but a human is no substitute for company of his own kind. You cannot communciate with him, snuggle or groom him like another bun can. As someone once said to me, it would be a bit like you spending your life with an elephant, you're both mammals but completely different :)

You now have a recommended & trusted vet. I know sending a bun for an op can be stressful and as with any anaesthetic there are risks but for a boy especially the risks are very small and with the right post op advice & care (which I know you and he will get) he'll soon be bouncing about at home again :thumb:

As for him changing his personality. This can happen to any bun, at any time, irrespective of a neuter but having this op rarely affects their personality. What it often changes is their behaviour i.e. territory marking, humping, humming, aggression (especially in does) etc which as domesticated pet rabbits are all negative things & often signs of frustration/boredom etc :(

Thank you so much, I needed to hear this. He's been a very snuggly bunny today, I wonder if he misses the girlies even though he only met them briefly. He was so excited when he was here, I know a lot of that was naughty thoughts but he's never been like that before, he clearly needs bunny company :)

With Mo we were always 'should we, shouldnt we'. Mo circled me all the time, in fact i was forever falling over him because of his circling! We looked up the pro's and con's and if im honest there were no con's (only if you want to breed from him). Not only that but it prevents cancer.

So the thing that made us get him done was adopting Bo! :love:

It was a very good operation and very neat, just one of his empty sacks filled with a little bit of blood but antibiotics sorted that out very quickly.

Mo is a very cheeky, very chilled out and very snuggly rabbit.....his operation never changed him. The good thing about it now is that we know we have prolonged his life.

Hope this helps!

Bear was done 3 weeks ago, and already you can notice hes much calmer and I'd say happier, I'd say go for it!
I fell you pain though, I felt physically sick the whole time he was in for his op and when he got home I sat with him for hours and cried my eyes out!

Just to add, I'm looking after an unneutered rabbit for friends just now, and he is a daily reminder to me of the frustration an entire buck can experience. :(

If and when you decide to have Stephen done, I know you'll get lots of support on here as I did when I was agonising over having Spenser done. (Nods gratefully at Fluffers :wave:) There is always a risk with any GA, but rabbit anaesthesia has come on hugely in recent years and it is very unsual to hear of a problem. It was perhaps more of a decision for me because Spenser didn't display any obvious hormonal symptoms, but I certainly don't regret having him done.

:wave: havent been around this weekend so catching up but just wanted to say how right Jen is ... and she has told me this before as well.

I can totally appreciate that horrid worrying feeling you have, I get it every single time Bee has a dental.

I had Bee castrated in December. He went in to be spayed (but they found undescended (sp) testicles and called me and asked if I still wanted to go ahead - I did and they also found his spurs and burred them down. Due to all of this he was under for quite some time and he didnt have a great start to life so he was at great risk but we got him through.

Bee was such a friendly little bunny, never showed signs of agression, was litter trained, never sprayed etc etc ... so why neuter ... Jen has summed up all the points below.

I know its a worry - and everytime Bee has a dental its a very worrying time but if Stephen was my bunny I personally would neuter him. As Jen said you have a good vet recommendation ( i assume its who Jill uses?!) and to my knowledge Stephen is a healthy bunny and they will obviously health check him before doing it.

There will always be risks, as there is with any animal and us humans too but were all here to offer help advice and support and I know that Jill and Jen will support and advise you too.

:wave: x

With Mo we were always 'should we, shouldnt we'. Mo circled me all the time, in fact i was forever falling over him because of his circling! We looked up the pro's and con's and if im honest there were no con's (only if you want to breed from him). Not only that but it prevents cancer.

So the thing that made us get him done was adopting Bo! :love:

It was a very good operation and very neat, just one of his empty sacks filled with a little bit of blood but antibiotics sorted that out very quickly.

Mo is a very cheeky, very chilled out and very snuggly rabbit.....his operation never changed him. The good thing about it now is that we know we have prolonged his life.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, it does help. Stephen doesn't really circle me a lot, maybe once every couple of days but I know it's not fair on him to keep him as he is and I so want to find him a wifey bun, was very sad when his two potential wifeys had to go back home :( :cry:

We will have him done as soon as we can, it's just money etc. I feel so horrible to say it but I would really have reconsidered taking on my 'free' rabbit if I knew he wasn't neutered as he's cost me £hundreds already and I simply don't have the money at the moment to pay for his neuter.

Bear was done 3 weeks ago, and already you can notice hes much calmer and I'd say happier, I'd say go for it!
I fell you pain though, I felt physically sick the whole time he was in for his op and when he got home I sat with him for hours and cried my eyes out!

Thank you. I just am terrified of losing him, I don't even want to think about it. :(

Just to add, I'm looking after an unneutered rabbit for friends just now, and he is a daily reminder to me of the frustration an entire buck can experience. :(

If and when you decide to have Stephen done, I know you'll get lots of support on here as I did when I was agonising over having Spenser done. (Nods gratefully at Fluffers :wave:) There is always a risk with any GA, but rabbit anaesthesia has come on hugely in recent years and it is very unsual to hear of a problem. It was perhaps more of a decision for me because Spenser didn't display any obvious hormonal symptoms, but I certainly don't regret having him done.

Thank you :) Stephen hasn't really been hormonal, just circling every now and again and he's calm, doesn't spray etc, very well litter trained, which is partly why I never suspected.

Now my OH is saying "but his circling and little noises are really cute, he'll be completely silent if you cut off his balls and won't he love you less" and I'm trying to explain it to him, not listening though and telling me I'm being mean.

:wave: havent been around this weekend so catching up but just wanted to say how right Jen is ... and she has told me this before as well.

I can totally appreciate that horrid worrying feeling you have, I get it every single time Bee has a dental.

I had Bee castrated in December. He went in to be spayed (but they found undescended (sp) testicles and called me and asked if I still wanted to go ahead - I did and they also found his spurs and burred them down. Due to all of this he was under for quite some time and he didnt have a great start to life so he was at great risk but we got him through.

Bee was such a friendly little bunny, never showed signs of agression, was litter trained, never sprayed etc etc ... so why neuter ... Jen has summed up all the points below.

I know its a worry - and everytime Bee has a dental its a very worrying time but if Stephen was my bunny I personally would neuter him. As Jen said you have a good vet recommendation ( i assume its who Jill uses?!) and to my knowledge Stephen is a healthy bunny and they will obviously health check him before doing it.

There will always be risks, as there is with any animal and us humans too but were all here to offer help advice and support and I know that Jill and Jen will support and advise you too.

:wave: x

I would be considering asking them to flush his tear duct whilst he was asleep too as although it's not desperate it needs doing it is something to consider rather than him having two separate trips to the vets. Jen has given me some brilliant advice, I did know a lot of it already I just think you need someone to say it to you sometimes.

He is a healthy boy, the vet has no concerns over his health, I'm just worrying about it. :(

Tell your OH this. ;)

Imagine he lived in a world where there were no other humans, just other animals. And imagine if he couldn't 'do' anything himself. Imagine that feeling and not being able to do anything about it, because that's how Stephen could feel. Hopefully that makes sense without being too graphic. :lol:

I can tell you Grim didn't change one bit when he was done. apart from he stopped biting me while trying to mount my arm.

I actually think a single bunny should be neutered too. Neutering prevents testicular cancer & reduces hormonal frustration & behaviours:D

I can understand your worry. I was terrified of having Storm done, but I had to, he was a nightmare! I had to wear a dressing gown when going into my bedroom as he would spray me all over, and all the way up the walls :shock: my room smelt lovely :mrgreen::lol: I was also worried that he would harrass Gypsy.

I cried when I handed him over to the vet :oops: but to be honest when he came home Storm just went straight to his food bowl and acted as though nothing had happened :shock:

Thank you :) Stephen hasn't really been hormonal, just circling every now and again and he's calm, doesn't spray etc, very well litter trained, which is partly why I never suspected.

Now my OH is saying "but his circling and little noises are really cute, he'll be completely silent if you cut off his balls and won't he love you less" and I'm trying to explain it to him, not listening though and telling me I'm being mean.

Stephen might not display many hormonal behaviours now but that doesn't mean he won't going forward.

Ditto to what Jenova said!

Tell your boyfriend that the physical side to your relationship is going to stop. After a month or so ask him how he's feeling. ....When he starts moaning and whining explain that you think its cute and you prefer him like that ;)

Listen to those who know about rabbits and try to ignore those that don't. You KNOW it's the right and kindest thing to do.

Jx

Tell your OH this. ;)

Imagine he lived in a world where there were no other humans, just other animals. And imagine if he couldn't 'do' anything himself. Imagine that feeling and not being able to do anything about it, because that's how Stephen could feel. Hopefully that makes sense without being too graphic. :lol:

I can tell you Grim didn't change one bit when he was done. apart from he stopped biting me while trying to mount my arm.

:lol: :lol: That is a very good way of putting it, I hadn't thought about saying something like that. I shall try that when he gets back from work and see what he says.

Your likely to be worried hun ... I worry every vet trip etc .. sending lots of virtual hugs :)

Thank you :) I'm sure we'll be fine, just got to work up the courage to take him (and save a bit more money).

I actually think a single bunny should be neutered too. Neutering prevents testicular cancer & reduces hormonal frustration & behaviours:D

:thumb: Thank you, I was trying to explain to the OH that even if we don't find him a lady straight away he still needs doing and this was what I was trying to say but didn't say it very well!

I can understand your worry. I was terrified of having Storm done, but I had to, he was a nightmare! I had to wear a dressing gown when going into my bedroom as he would spray me all over, and all the way up the walls :shock: my room smelt lovely :mrgreen::lol: I was also worried that he would harrass Gypsy.

I cried when I handed him over to the vet :oops: but to be honest when he came home Storm just went straight to his food bowl and acted as though nothing had happened :shock:

Awww :) I'm glad it went so smoothly and he was OK. I just think everything has gone wrong the past few months and am concerned that this is another thing that could go wrong.

Stephen might not display many hormonal behaviours now but that doesn't mean he won't going forward.

Ditto to what Jenova said!

Tell your boyfriend that the physical side to your relationship is going to stop. After a month or so ask him how he's feeling. ....When he starts moaning and whining explain that you think its cute and you prefer him like that ;)

Listen to those who know about rabbits and try to ignore those that don't. You KNOW it's the right and kindest thing to do.

Jx

:lol: Jen that's cruel! (but a good idea as he would then completely understand what poor Stephen is experiencing!)

I know everything you are saying makes sense, thank you. I just think the OH has gotten used to how Stephen is now as we've had him almost a year and doesn't want him to change, he doesn't understand really how it will benefit Stephen. He was very excited about Stephen having a girlfiend though so maybe that's what I'll have to focus on... "We can't have another bunny whilst Stephen has his bits because they wouldn't get on etc".

I just don't think he likes the thought of neutering :p :lol:

Back