• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Two Female Buns Together?

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Can two female rabbits live together happily?

I lost my last bunnies a few months back :cry: They were male and female. The girl was always the boss bless her :love: xx

Last edited:
It is possible, however, the best chance for success would be to get one bunny, get her/him all ready for bonding (6-8 weeks post neuter/spay) and then let him/her choose his/her new friend. From the sounds of the two you have seen, it would not be safe to bond them to each other for many months (until they are both 6-8 weeks post spay) and even then they may not work.

Equally, you could look to adopt a ready formed pair from a rescue :)

It is possible for two does to live happily as a pair but u have to be careful and make sure both are spayed.

If you do get them, first keep them in seperate enclosures and only let one rabbit out at a time, which will give you and them chance to see if they are curious about the other bun and how they react.

If it goes well after a couple of weeks of doing this put them both in a neutral place (WHICH NEITHER HAS MARKED AS HER TERRITORY) and slowly introduce them, bear in mind to be ready in case they show any signs of wanting to box as they will fight to kill :(

Hope this helps.

Good Luck xx

Thank you everso much. I was thinking of taking them both on, keeping them separate until they're ready for neutering and bonding when they're ready after that. But as you say, it may not work - its a risk. Will think on. Would love to give them a home, they're unwanted pets like my last buns :cry: I know, sadly there will be plenty more. Will keep looking at the rescues also.

Hx

Thank you everso much. I was thinking of taking them both on, keeping them separate until they're ready for neutering and bonding when they're ready after that. But as you say, it may not work - its a risk. Will think on. Would love to give them a home, they're unwanted pets like my last buns :cry: I know, sadly there will be plenty more. Will keep looking at the rescues also.

Hx

I bonded my 2 females quite easily and without spaying (didn't realise the importance at the time or I def would've had them done 1st as now I'm worried about breaking their bond) and I didn't do it 'by the book' either :?
Heres what i did... I got Summer 1st as a baby and she lived alone for a couple of months in a hutch within a fenced enclosure. I then got Skye, also as a baby so there's a couple of months between them in age. I got a temp hutch for Skye and put it in Summers enclosure so when summer came out she could see and smell Skye in her hutch for a few days. I then started letting skye out on her own to do the same, then I think I put both of them on top of one of the hutches for the 1st proper meeting so I was on hand to grab one if they seemed threatening. I then let them run in the enclosure together and left their hutches open so they did a bit of chasing and went in and out of each others hutches. I did this for a few days and each time I swapped something from each hutch, such as a toy or something so their smells mixed. They just explored eachothers hutches and did do a bit of chasing the other one out etc but it never got aggressive. I gradually left them out together for longer periods, keeping an eye on them, then one night I went to put them back in their own hutches and found them both snuggled together in Summers hutch and I didn't have the heart to split them so I took the risk and left them together for the night and they've lived happily together ever since! That was 2 years ago and iv never had any probs, and they're still not spayed! Although on advice, I am now having them spayed in the next couple of weeks and have also just got another female who I am hoping to bond with them... Something many would say will never work, just like they say 2 females and DEF not 2 unspayed females!! But I think my 2 prove that anything is possible. I don't think age or sex matter IMO I think it's all down to the individuals. It may well not work out for me but it's worth a try, I think u will know pretty quickly if they won't get on. I plan to follow a similar routine for introducing Heidi to Summer and Skye, except they r no longer in the enclosure as its being prepared for the new set up so I am keeping them away now so it remains neutral and hopefully I will get to the stage where they can all go into the brand new run together to meet properly. Before this, Heidi will go into a temp hutch so that Summer and Skye can inspect her for a while and hopefully they get used to each other being around without being threatened. I plan to put up a makeshift enclosure containing both hutches so i can follow the same kind of routine as i did before, as i dont think i would trust Heidi to free range just yet!! Maybe iv just been lucky with Summer and Skye, im def no expert but it worked for me and them :D Time will tell!!
Good luck to u, if u want my opinion I'd say try it, but do get them spayed and recovered 1st, I wish I had done :thumb:

All I will say if tha if you get them both, make sure you have a plan for what will happen if they don't bond (i.e. being prepared to keep them separately and then get each a friend).

Iv got two pairs of females and they all get on well...my older two (just turned a year old) are both spayed and live happily together :love: The younger two are both 7 months old and not yet spayed...we are waiting for lily to gain a smidge more weight and then they will be but as of now they are happy together too :) Both my pairs were together as babies and possibly/probably from the same litters.

I had two females together too, both unspayed aged 5 & 3 they'd been together for 18 months before the five year old one died :cry: plus they lived with two boys,

The girls...

2011-11-09110125.jpg

2011-10-17155004.jpg

All four...

Photo0724.jpg

I bonded my 2 females quite easily and without spaying (didn't realise the importance at the time or I def would've had them done 1st as now I'm worried about breaking their bond) and I didn't do it 'by the book' either :?
Heres what i did... I got Summer 1st as a baby and she lived alone for a couple of months in a hutch within a fenced enclosure. I then got Skye, also as a baby so there's a couple of months between them in age. I got a temp hutch for Skye and put it in Summers enclosure so when summer came out she could see and smell Skye in her hutch for a few days. I then started letting skye out on her own to do the same, then I think I put both of them on top of one of the hutches for the 1st proper meeting so I was on hand to grab one if they seemed threatening. I then let them run in the enclosure together and left their hutches open so they did a bit of chasing and went in and out of each others hutches. I did this for a few days and each time I swapped something from each hutch, such as a toy or something so their smells mixed. They just explored eachothers hutches and did do a bit of chasing the other one out etc but it never got aggressive. I gradually left them out together for longer periods, keeping an eye on them, then one night I went to put them back in their own hutches and found them both snuggled together in Summers hutch and I didn't have the heart to split them so I took the risk and left them together for the night and they've lived happily together ever since! That was 2 years ago and iv never had any probs, and they're still not spayed! Although on advice, I am now having them spayed in the next couple of weeks and have also just got another female who I am hoping to bond with them... Something many would say will never work, just like they say 2 females and DEF not 2 unspayed females!! But I think my 2 prove that anything is possible. I don't think age or sex matter IMO I think it's all down to the individuals. It may well not work out for me but it's worth a try, I think u will know pretty quickly if they won't get on. I plan to follow a similar routine for introducing Heidi to Summer and Skye, except they r no longer in the enclosure as its being prepared for the new set up so I am keeping them away now so it remains neutral and hopefully I will get to the stage where they can all go into the brand new run together to meet properly. Before this, Heidi will go into a temp hutch so that Summer and Skye can inspect her for a while and hopefully they get used to each other being around without being threatened. I plan to put up a makeshift enclosure containing both hutches so i can follow the same kind of routine as i did before, as i dont think i would trust Heidi to free range just yet!! Maybe iv just been lucky with Summer and Skye, im def no expert but it worked for me and them :D Time will tell!!
Good luck to u, if u want my opinion I'd say try it, but do get them spayed and recovered 1st, I wish I had done :thumb:

Really glad to read this as I am about to try and bond my two females (both have been spayed), but this give me hope, thankyou

Just a point which you probably know but when you put both hutches in the enc and let Heidi out she could cause a fight between the 2 girls together if she can get close to the hutch. (Referred aggression!). Not something you want.

Just a point which you probably know but when you put both hutches in the enc and let Heidi out she could cause a fight between the 2 girls together if she can get close to the hutch. (Referred aggression!). Not something you want.

Yes my main fear is causing any kind of aggression between Summer and Skye. Any tips?? Should I allow Summer and Skye to meet Heidi individually in a separate run maybe? Then if this goes ok, try adding the other again so the 3 can mix? I am def more nervous about this bond than I was with the 2! I have a few ideas and thankfully a few weeks to think about it. Will also have a chat with my vet when S&S get spayed.

My older doe was living with a guinea pig until I was informed how dangerous it could be. The guinea has now been neutered and is part of a trio. I then got a baby doe as the older one was pining for her friend - not eating, not wanting to do anything. I tried the baby and she perked up straight away and washed baby from head to foot. They have been together a week now and go everywhere together, Mary is like Betty's second skin. Both are unspayed at the moment and seem to be getting on very well, when I open the shed of a morning Betty is wrapped round Mary keeping her warm and safe.

P040712_20230005.jpg

Back