• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Rabbit - advice please?

Nicky.

New Kit
Hello!

I got Pancakes on Thursday night - he's 6 months old :) My brother's friend was moving back home so she gave him to me! :)

I've owned hamsters for like 3 years (who live/d in a mansion haha) so I understand the importance of cage space, etc! :)

2ilkktg.jpg

and this is his cage, but we've been leaving it open for free roam of the kitchen every day!

330z9rm.jpg

What else do I need in the cage? It feels a bit empty atm - he has a very chewed up wood toy and a mineral stone thing, but I'm going Pets at Home on Monday! So I came on here to ask what else I need really? Any advice is greatly received, because we're just guessing atm! D:

Hello and welcome to the forum :D

Unfortunately, your cage is far too small for a full grown rabbit even if the rabbit is "only" in at night time.

It would be cheaper to rabbit proof your kitchen, especially as your rabbit already free ranges in there during the day, and to let your rabbit be free 24/7.

Louie likes willow balls and a set of plastic baby keys that make a satisfying racket each time he throws it.

Thought that would be the case! I got him totally free so can't complain ey!

We're gonna do that yeah, it's rabbit proof atm tbf - we've just been closing it to make sure he feels secure in the first few days!

Cheeers! Xx

hi

pancakes is simply edible!

You prob need bit more hay and peops on here dont like wood shavings for rabbits - can sometimes cause respiratory probs so you're better off, when ur bag finishes with newspaper or the absorbent material like megazorb (or perhaps keep the shavings for the litter tray only).

stick on here, u'll get great advice. u can buy all sorts of toys off the net - maybe something to stick in the bars. But those of us economising love using toilet rolls stuffed with hay. Also, snuggle tunnels or balls with a little bell and something to chew like branches from a non sprayed fruit tree - people inc those on here sell green food for rabbits if you cant forage
:wave:

i've found a ball with a bell inside works wonders!! Bunnies love to throw them around and mine even pass them to us now, or u could even make toys yourself, such as; kitchen roll tubes stuffed with hay, a yellow pages book or even some ribbon. My bunnie Bo loves to run around with a bit of ribbon hanging out her mouth, i think she likes the feel of it - just make sure your bubba doesnt eat it x

Oh really? Megazorb is like Carefresh right? How often should I change the bedding? He has loadsss of hay in his bed btw underneath!

and thanks for the toy tips, I'll get on that! Why a yellow pages btw? :3

Oh really? Megazorb is like Carefresh right? How often should I change the bedding? He has loadsss of hay in his bed btw underneath!

and thanks for the toy tips, I'll get on that! Why a yellow pages btw? :3

Just because they love to rip the paper out and shred it, its good for them to make bedding with too and it keeps them occupied for hours!!

we cant have argos books within their reach, weve gone through loads because everyime we put them somewhere these two find it and rip them up!!

Is very entertaining to watch though :p x

I havent used carefresh but it sounds similar to megazorb. the former reminds me of a ladies product, and the latter was simon cowell's girlfriend - megazorb hussainy!

i change my litter tray daily and pick bits off the rest of their area (stray food or straw etc) and wipe the food bowl, rinse the water out etc, top up hay. the big clean up is done weekly. but if your rabbit isnt litter trained, it will vary

Ahh awesome!! I dunno if we have one about but that's class! Cheers! I'll hunt one out ;D

and yeah, I think it is :3 rings a bell from the hamster forums!

andand he's litter trained yeah! Thank you very much! Xx

What would we do without Wilko's! Yeah there is! I got him a seed block from there today, didn't know to look for those though! But I'll be there again in no time I'm sure, cheers!

There's one in my hammy cage, but not sure my hammy would appreciate me robbin' it off him haha! Xx

It is! I'm hoping to get him garden free range too? Or at least make the over-hang area of my garden fenced off so he can go under there! :D

Sounds great, but only give him free range in the garden if he can be supervised at all times :) It's great that he has free range of your kitchen already :)

Back