• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Attempting To Catch A Loose Rabbit [Update Thread]

Malorey

Warren Scout
I would first like to post a link to my introduction thread, as I did some discussing with (another forum member(s)), so there is some information on the situation:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=73771&forum_id=26

So, as you probably have gotten by now. I am trying to catch a loose Rabbit. I in the past caught a loose Guinea Pig, but he was a breeze because he came right to us with Carrots. While I did not try food with this Rabbit, so far I am able to get very close to him, but take one more step, and he gets right up and runs off, and is quite a fast bunny.

He is in an area that is not very good; many drug addicts, violent people, and near a busier road. So I have been quite worried for him!

I have so far only gone out twice in hopes to get him, but hadn't any tools besides my hands and a blanket. Both being unsuccessful in his capture. I will be borrowing a net this time around.

He is a black and white Rabbit, and looks a lot like the Rabbit on the far right of your logo on the top of this forum! Another thing is, he has made friends with two (actual) wild Rabbits, and there is a chance he could have mated with them, or one of them. In the past in the next town over we had that happen, and now when you go there you see 'part-wild' bunnies of many colors.

I thought I'd start this thread as an update thread: Whether for capture, attempts, or the Rabbit itself!

Send some Rabbit catching vibes!

~

Also, I just copied and pasted from my post on the other forum, so I am sorry if the introduction thread may not be posted! Will remove if unable, but it does have some more information about things so far in it!

Last edited:
Oh gosh - good luck!

Do try some hand held treats, you don't need to buy anything special, just pick some dandelions, or long wild grass or something like romaine lettuce that you might have in the fridge anyway.

If it is domestic it should have no fear about coming up to you and having a bite! It may run away a few times - but if it learns you have yummy treats and you stay still and calm it may well come back quite quickly!

Another idea is to get a large cardboard box and fill it with hay, put it on its side with a trail of yummy dandelions etc - rabbits LOVE boxes. if you sit next to the box and wait/hope for the bunny to come in - you may be able to tilt it up with bunny still in and you'll have trapped it - make sure the bottom is secure!

If you do make a grab for it - it's safest for the bun if you can grab its middle, but try and support its bum quickly, otherwise you can damage its spine - also, it will probably kick it's legs around a lot but if you land the bun on your tummy (so it's tummy to your tummy) it will soon calm down, it tricks the rabbits into thinking they are on the ground - as rabbits are prey animals it can be pretty scary to be in the air! this can be a bit scary the first time you try it as rabbits can have a powerful kick, so it's important to do it as quick as possible.

I've never had to catch a rabbit before so I'm afraid I probably can't be much help.

I wonder though if a domestic rabbit can mate with our wild cottontails? I've always thought that was impossible because they're only distantly related. Maybe you've just seen pet released rabbits that are breeding with each other and now are feral.

When we had to catch stray rabbits we had to keep visiting them and when we had managed to catch one of them we used a net and dandelions for the other

Can't help you sorry, I've only ever had to catch one loose bunny and she was incredibly tame so it wasn't exactly difficult. But good luck, I really hope you manage to catch the poor thing.

I was unable to get out in attempts to catch him tonight, like I had planned, as my mother ended up getting home late from being at the cabin, and did not feel like taking me. :(

I do plan to bring some treats, if needed. With my planning on using a net, I'm not sure if I'll need them ... but if I by chance missed him with the net, I'd hope he'd possibly be able to be coaxed back in my direction through the treats! I've had it been suggested that I use a type of humane trap, but the thing is, with my going out at night (when people are less active or not around in the area), and just with the area in which it is in (away from my home), I just don't think I'd be able to work with some kind of trap. Especially as a lot of times he is in people's yards, and I don't want to spend too much time wandering / sitting in people's yards there. A lot of times we are able to get him near public property, but he goes where he pleases, and usually it's into someone's nice, grassy yard! Thank you for telling me how to grab one, as well! I hadn't thought about that aspect! I'm hoping if I do get him enclosed in the net, to pick him up, and place him into a box for safe travel!

As I was looking for an article about the breeding in Park Point, it DOES appear they were two domestic Rabbits that were loose. I'd been told it was a domestic x wild breeding. So, domestic and wild types cannot breed, then?:

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/200005/08_kelleherb_bunnies-m/

No, not with cottontails or jack rabbits, but they can breed with other European rabbits since that's what they are - domesticated Europeans. But there aren't any wild European rabbits in the US.

Just got back not too long ago with my two friends in attempt to catch him again. Took us an hour to find him, then we tried for another hour to catch him. No luck. He is so freakin' fast. We had food and a net this time around. We followed him up and down and all around, finally got him cornered in an area with no escape, had the net on him, but not all the way to the ground (as it's a bit of a pain to navigate), and he snuck under, ran towards my friend and she went 'scared girl' on us and he got by. IT WAS SO CLOSE! We're going to try and get a couple more people, as even when we surround him, there is so much gap between us. I just wish it were easy and I could have him here in my home!

Just got back from being out again, bad time this time around. Found him right away, but then he ran into someone's yard and we never saw him again. Then we were driving around and some lady came at the car screaming and being crazy, so we called it a night. Won't be going out again for a couple of days.

Last edited:
hi malorey

maybe speak to neighbouring people about what ur doing and enlist their help - more of you might help catch it? (or maybe scare it...)

I really wish he could be an easier catch. Especially after last night with the lady coming at us, I'm not even wanting to go anymore, and it's just disheartening trying to get him when he is able to get away to fast and easy.

Saj, with the incident above as an example, it's one reason I do not want to deal with the people in that area. It's full of people like that. If it were in my neighborhood, I'd have no problem asking people for help, as I know many people from my school, and my neighbors wouldn't mind coming to help. My friends and I have been asking other people to come with us, but so far no one will.

:(

I really want to go out again, but I'm still kinda nervous. We don't even normally go down the alley where this ladies house was, but I'm still worried she might see us drive by by some chance in another area and come for us, or something. Or mentioned us to people she knows around there, or neighbors, or someone! Of all the places for this bunny to be!!! :(

We will be heading out again tonight, after a week, to see what can be done. Crossing my fingers for no more wacko people incidents!

Good luck! Keeping everything crossed for you, I really hope this little one can be caught soon!

We've been calling it a very lucky, and miraculous bunny that it's survived so long. I mean, we have Foxes, bad people, loose dogs and cats that would go for a Rabbit, he's quite close to a busy avenue ... and has made it this long.

Went out again last night, little stinker was in someone's fenced yard. We went to a gas station and got some stuff hoping he'd leave the yard by the time we got back, and when we went back, we couldn't see him again, and guessed he was in the yard or the neighbors yard.

Hiya, my friend caught a stray bunny a couple of years ago. There were four of us chasing it around and around a field. Eventually we all backed off and my friend lay on the floor when she got near to it again. She was in the middle of seeing to her own buns at the time we got the call about the bunny running around so it just so happened that she smelt of buns and more importantly bunny wee :lol:
it attracted the bun straight away. let you buns soil your clothing and then lie down as she did or throw the clothes smelling of rabbit near the bunny. I suppose you could even empty some of your own bunnys poops and soiled toilet stuff into a carrier and see if it temps bunny in
Good luck and well done on making the effort to catch him/her x

Back