• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rehoming a rabbit - how long does the process take

enfieldgirl

Young Bun
hi all i have a suitable home for another rabbit or possibly 2 , to be alongside my beautiful little girl . i have been in touch with several adoption/ rescue centres and have had varied response. i.e some have not replied at all . my question is how long does the process take , i.e home inspection etc as i am feeling this may not be the best option now as i have been doing this for nealry 3 weeks and still am not even close to meeting some suitable rabbits. dont want to moan as iknow most rescue centres are run by volunteers but im keen to get bonding asap.

It all depends. If they have a suitable rabbit for you all ready to go i.e. neutered, vaccinated, no health issues and you meet their rehoming requirements then it would probably be very quick. Most rescues seem very full at the moment which means they are probably swamped with work so may take a little while to get back to you.

:wave: A rescue bun is a great option!
Have you identified any suitable buns yourself? Rescues are very stretched so I would imagine it would be helpful to state an interest in a specific bun. When we adopted Orinoco I had seen him on the website so sent a photograph of our accomodation with details of measurements and a description of Scarlet's temperament so they could assess whether they would be a good match and whether we had the right set-up.
It's often better to go in person if you rescue is nearby which is what we did with Scarlet, but with Orinoco I arranged by email and telephone to take her to BARC to meet Ori. It really didn't take long, about a week. Then we had to wait for his vaccinations and for the rescue to have time to bond them for us.
I can't encourage you enough to stick with it and give a rescue bun a home, it's the best thing to do!

We have several bunnies available for rehoming and the process is very quick once you agree to adopt and get back the references etc back to us. Our fastest method of contact is by email.

We are run by volunteers and have limited time available to respond to phone enquiries as we are usually caring for the animals, doing vet runs etc which is always the no1 priority.

We have alot of healthy and special bunnies available for rehoming. If you drop an email to us- i'd be happy to go through the bunnies that are not yet available on our website.

hi
my total rehome experience took 2.5 weeks - it was our specification that the rabbits were with us asap once we had our housing set up. The centre did everything they could to accommodate this. we were lucky that the buns were well etc.

it varies obviously. maybe you're best bet is to get a local recommendation - perhaps you could start a thread asking for recommendations of rescues in your area who are quick to respond etc.the ones whove posted on here are bound to be.

:wave:

Back