PDA

View Full Version : Hydrotherapy for rabbits/ gave it a go p21

Hugo's There
06-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Has anyone else tried it????

I am terrified about doing it in case i drown her:shock: Can you buy rabbit arm bands!

I don't even like getting her very wet when she needs a bum bath :oops:

Oompa-Loompa
06-07-2012, 07:54 PM
No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to boost your confidence by saying that I hardly think you'd drown her :lol: I understand that you're nervous though, I know I'd be!

Georgeypudding
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
rabbits CAN swim, so she shouldnt drown as long as you support her :lol: I wouldnt worry too much about getting her wet, just about getting her dry :?

Hugo's There
06-07-2012, 08:35 PM
rabbits CAN swim, so she shouldnt drown as long as you support her :lol: I wouldnt worry too much about getting her wet, just about getting her dry :?

I was thinking that, at least it is summer, I don't think i would even attempt it in winter :?

bunny babe
06-07-2012, 08:38 PM
No advice really Liz, except keep her steady in the sling.

I know when I ruptured my ACL the benefit of hydrotherapy was unbelievable, it really helped me. I would hope it would do the same for Trevor x

Hugo's There
06-07-2012, 08:47 PM
No advice really Liz, except keep her steady in the sling.

I know when I ruptured my ACL the benefit of hydrotherapy was unbelievable, it really helped me. I would hope it would do the same for Trevor x

Yes mum suggested I make another sling to support her front half so she feels more secure and then I can hold that with one hand and support her bum with the other. I can't use the sling I already have as it is so well padded it would never dry out!

I am going to feel bad trying this but I guess its cruel to be kind, you never know she might like it, nothing has bothered her so far!

bunny babe
06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
You can only try it and as you say, she may even enjoy it. She definitely seems to be enjoying life with you :love:

Hugo's There
06-07-2012, 08:51 PM
You can only try it and as you say, she may even enjoy it. She definitely seems to be enjoying life with you :love:

The physio said it is going to be an awful waste of water, but me and Trevor decided we will tell her daddy we are being kind and running him a bath and while he is getting ready for it Trevor can take a quick dip first ;):lol::lol:

Tatihou
06-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Getting the temperature right - just on body heat? - is probably key to how she'll take to it. As Georgey said, rabbits can swim and Trev might find it quite liberating because her weight will be supported. I'd be terrified too, though! Where will you do it? In the bath?

ETA: you just said: in the bath. Now that's true love when a partner will let a bun have first dibs on the bath water! :thumb: :lol:

bunny babe
06-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Getting the temperature right - just on body heat? - is probably key to how she'll take to it. As Georgey said, rabbits can swim and Trev might find it quite liberating because her weight will be supported. I'd be terrified too, though! Where will you do it? In the bath?

ETA: you just said: in the bath. Now that's true love when a partner will let a bun have first dibs on the bath water! :thumb: :lol:

That is exactly how I felt when I had it for my knee. It gave me confidence and the exercise does seem to build muscles up quicker with less stress.

Liz - I can just imaging Steve's face :lol:

Hugo's There
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM

Arh but I didn't say he would know about it ;) :lol::lol: If she has any little accidents i will just cover it up with a few bubbles :D:D

KarenM
06-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Arh but I didn't say he would know about it ;) :lol::lol: If she has any little accidents i will just cover it up with a few bubbles :D:D

:lol::lol::lol:

Bluesmum
06-07-2012, 09:23 PM
[/B]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

natsusakura
06-07-2012, 10:05 PM
:) I think she'll enjoy it.
I saw a couple of videos on YouTube of buns swimming in swimming pools, some seem to actually really enjoy it and are quite fast! :lol:

Hugo's There
07-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks, I think I will leave it today and try tomorrow ( I am such a chicken :lol: )

Bluesmum
07-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks, I think I will leave it today and try tomorrow ( I am such a chicken :lol: )

Nice and slow is the key...you don't want to over do it so I think waiting is a good idea :D

Hugo's There
07-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Nice and slow is the key...you don't want to over do it so I think waiting is a good idea :D

Yes me too ;)

If we actually get a bit of sunshine today may be we can do some sunbathing therapy :D

wendle
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Awww bless her she's gorgeous she looks really happy too :love::love:

RedFraggle
07-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Have a read of this Liz

http://www.rabbitcare.org/swimming.htm

Others have successfully done it but they suggest getting the bun used to the water first

another experience is here

http://rabbitowners.livejournal.com/1082839.html

Hugo's There
07-07-2012, 10:44 AM
Have a read of this Liz

http://www.rabbitcare.org/swimming.htm

Others have successfully done it but they suggest getting the bun used to the water first

another experience is here

http://rabbitowners.livejournal.com/1082839.html

Thanks Chris, they look good will have a proper read later. With the other bunnies ill I hadn't had a chance to look online about it :wave:

Hugo's There
08-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Well today we took the plunge ;)

Not sure what we achieved or what I think of it but for a first attempt it could have gone a lot worse :?

I used the shower attachment to let the bath fill up as that makes it quiet and barely disturbs the water in there. I popped her in when there was just an inch or so, so she could sit in it to start with and feel safe, then I gradually let it fill up. TBH She didn't do a lot, most of the time she just stayed still while I held her. She was a little stressed but nothing to concern me. As it filled up she did use her front legs once or twice but not her back legs at all, so instead I did some of her stretching exercises under the water.

I do think I need to let the bath be deeper in future but for a first time didn;t want to risk it in case she panicked, but it was deep enough for her legs to hang down.

She was such a good girl with the hair dryer and is currently in her bed with a heat pad and some nice blankets, she has munched a big treat and is now busy washing herself.:love: she seems happy enough.

So I will give it another go next Sunday once i have reported back to the physio about it on friday.

At least she didn't drown :lol: But I am worried about her catching cold afterwards :?

Rhianna
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Aaaw bless her little paws.

AGCT sounds like she is willing to try anything and trusts that you won't hurt her. Amazing after what she had been through before she found you.

Sending her lots of vibes xxxxx

MotherPanda
08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
That sounds fantastic for a first attempt - my baby makes more of a fuss than that in the water! I know my joints feel better after a nice bath, so hopefully it will help poor Trevor :) Did the hairdryer not scare her at all!?

Oompa-Loompa
08-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Told ya she wouldn't drown! :lol: :thumb: This girl never ceases to amaze me. Such an inspiration :love:

Hugo's There
08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
That sounds fantastic for a first attempt - my baby makes more of a fuss than that in the water! I know my joints feel better after a nice bath, so hopefully it will help poor Trevor :) Did the hairdryer not scare her at all!?

No, but she wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get her completely dry so we popped her on a heatpad with some blankets and a treat :D

bunny babe
08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
It sounds like it was a good start, she is such a good girl :love:

Mackers
08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Sounds like you were more stressed than Trevor :lol:. Well done for giving it a go - I'm sure it will help her in the long run.

Hugo's There
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Bless her she is so exhausted.

We were going to take her to acupuncture on Tuesday but I might leave it for another week as she is having to work so hard at the moment :?

loppy ears
08-07-2012, 07:04 PM
I did not know you could put a rabbit in a bath for hydrotherapy, what temperature do you have to have the water and how long should they be in the water?

Hugo's There
08-07-2012, 08:15 PM
I did not know you could put a rabbit in a bath for hydrotherapy, what temperature do you have to have the water and how long should they be in the water?

I made it warmish, not too hot but not so cool she got cold too quickly.

Trevor should exercise in it for 3 minutes only, but she was in it a little longer than that, maybe 10 minutes as most of that time was her sitting in shallow water to get used to the feel.

While I feel awful for putting her through such a tough bunny boot camp and she has worried me with her exhaustion today, I must say the strength in her legs as she kicks my hand away this evening is amazing :)

MichelleBee
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I made it warmish, not too hot but not so cool she got cold too quickly.

Trevor should exercise in it for 3 minutes only, but she was in it a little longer than that, maybe 10 minutes as most of that time was her sitting in shallow water to get used to the feel.

While I feel awful for putting her through such a tough bunny boot camp and she has worried me with her exhaustion today, I must say the strength in her legs as she kicks my hand away this evening is amazing :)

Yey! :D Go Trevor, go! :thumb::thumb: