• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please!

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
I'm so confused and slightly upset.

I bonded Xena and Fiver at the very end in February, it took a little while as they are both pretty dominant bunnies. They have been pretty loved up since, flopping next to each other and Fiver grooming Xena but Xena has never once groomed Fiver. The other day they were getting nose rubs on my bed and Xena suddenly nipped Fiver and pushed him off the bed, he jumped off and Xena followed and they started really chasing each other. I was really quite surprised as they usually only chase when they get really excited at feeding time. I watched them for a while and they were showing aggression (ears down, tail up) and boxing at each other now and again.

I thought it might be just a lover's tiff but a week on they are still not happy. Sometimes they have been lying down away from each other, which is very unusual for them and still chasing and nipping each other. They are confusing me so much because they have also been happy flopping next to each other and last night Fiver was binkying. Fiver has still been grooming Xena and they have been laying next to each other the majority of the time but when I walk in the room it seems to spark something off and they start chasing. They haven't been pulling much fur, I've found the occasional clump and there has been absolutely no injuries. They seem happy and contented in themselves and are obviously pretty happy if they are happy flopping and binkying. Their room is right above the living room and I rarely hear them chasing each other when I'm not in the room. :? Am I triggering something?

They both got a clean bill of health form the vets last week and only have a few minor on going issues.

One thing I will note is that they are both moulting heavily. Xena has been in a right grump since she started moulting and has bitten be several times rather nastily. Could this affect their behaviour towards each other? I just need some advice on what to do. I can't separate them, I have no cage adequate for a bunny to be in for more than a few hours and Fiver can't be caged anyway. They are going into boarding for a week in September and I'm so worried that something may happen while I'm away. I can't bear the thought of what I'd do if their bond breaks. :cry::cry:

Please help!

i hope someone knows what to do there a lovely looking couple :love:
sorry i just wanted to read the post :( im no help at bonding but someone should be along soon :oops:

Sorry to hear that hon, I would worry too.
I don't know much about bonding but if Xena has bitten you and has started on Fiver then she would seem to be at the root of it. Is she uncomfortable if she's moulting? Can you give her a good pluck? It does sound as if you going into the room triggers it so is she getting possessive of you maybe? I think I might be inclined to have the vet check her again.

I live in permanent fear of Scarlet and Ori falling out, it must be awful.

Thanx RedFraggle. I'm sure your buns will never fall out :) Ori is a darling! :love:

They were fine this morning, Fiver was grooming Xena and and they were sitting together. Xena even happy flopped right against Fiver. When Fiver jumped onto the bed for morning cuddles she jumped up to but I pushed her down so she wouldn't nip him and start chasing again. She got the message and after Fiver had his cuddles she got nose rubs and was being really lovely.
I went to work and came back and I walked into the room, Fiver ran out to greet me as usual and Xena flew out from under the bed and ran into Fiver with her mouth wide open. She knocked him flying and he spun on the spot and grunted at her...it is definitely her. I'm wondering if it's her being possessive of him, putting him in his place kind of thing? He definitely see's me as HIS and has been coming to me more than usual for snuggles and kisses because Xena won't groom him, maybe she's jealous of me and taking it out on him? :/
I have a brush but have never tried to brush her since I've never met a bun that likes being brushed lol, I will dig it out and give her a groom and see if she will tolerate it.
She has been a bit smelly lately as in her scent glands. I mentioned it to the vet and she said they didn't look blocked but sometimes around certain times of the year they may smell more..I'm wondering if it's maybe late spring fever mixed with being irritated from moulting so much... I don't know! :cry:
I'm going to clean her scent glands anyway, vet advised that using vaseline will help to stop the smell, it's not horrific and I'm not too bothered but it's noticeable.

I just want them to be happy and I'm terrified that I'm doing something wrong. I feel so bad for Fiver, he's never been bullied before and I don't think he really knows how to react, he's been such a soppy get recently and it makes me worry that he is feeling a bit neglected. :(

Scarlet used to be rediculously possesive of Ori when they were first together. We weren't allowed to touch him and if we did sh'ed go and hump him straight away. They also went through a bad spell of chasing a couple of months ago and Ori would grunt and huff which Scarlet didn't like and I ws petrified it'd end in a scrap which fortuneately it never did.
She is neutered right?

Are they both neutered??

Try keeping them seperate for a few days then try introducing them slowly again, when we introduced our 2 we had them in seperate enclosures and let one out at a time, they used to get get curious and sniff at each other through the bars - try doing that for a few days and if it is going well try letting them both out together again.

If they start to show signs of boxing though seperate immediatly as they will sadly fight to the death :(

Good Luck - They look adorable together xx

They have already boxed..well Fiver boxes, he does that to me and has always done that instead of biting.
I can't separate them, I have nowhere to put a bunny, the cage I have is in the room and built in. It's not adequate for a bunny for more than an hour or so.

I don't think they will fight, generally they are nipping each other (usually Xena starts it) and then one hops off. They don't get scared or stressed but will continue doing what they are doing, sitting or eating hay etc.

Perhaps Xena is doing something similar to what Scarlet did with Ori? Instead of humping she is nipping him and blocking him from running to me. My Mam said they are fine when she walks in :?

I'm so confuuussseed! :cry: Are they doing this because their bond is breaking or are they doing this because Xena is possessive?

I have no experience to back this up, but it sounds to be as if she is putting him in his place when you are there. I'm not sure what you should do to get her out of this.
If it were dogs we were talking about you'd ignore the bad behaviour, so ignore her and go to him unless she's nice, but I don't think that strategy works with rabbits. Maybe you should go to her first so she doesn't feel she has to do that to him and only acknowledge him after her.
Who on here is particularly knowldgeable? Might be worth a PM. Maybe Sky-O or Jacks-Jane.

Yes, I wonder if they'd mind me pming them. :?

The thing is, I'd know what to do if they were full blown fighting or if it was clear their bond had broken. I'd find a way to separate them, possibly borrow a cage or something but I don't want to do that unless I NEED to. Then I'd start over again with bonding but they seem bonded, Fiver grooms Xena and they flop next to each other. It's a very odd situation. I've even wondered if a car ride would help but they HATE being in the carrier and I don't want to do this unless I know it would help. I'd ask my Mam/Dad to drive and I'd have them in the back with me but not in their carrier to see if it calmed them but there's no point if it doesn't help.
Xena has also been running from me when I go to stroke her, I think she thinks I'm going to be putting drops in her eyes so runs off before I can catch her. She doesn't mind it when it's happening but she knows whats going to happen and so legs it, then she'll sit under the bed and lunge at me if I try to get her.
They were chasing this morning when I got up but calmed as soon as I fed them and then have been fine all day so far :?

I don't think anyone'd mind a PM and JJ and Sky-O are both very knowledgeable and if they don't know they might know who does.

Fiver has had dentals in the past and is probably going to need another soon. Do you think this is the problem? :shock: It had crossed my mind that perhaps he wasn't too happy and Xena was picking up on that or something similar.

Fiver has had dentals in the past and is probably going to need another soon. Do you think this is the problem? :shock: It had crossed my mind that perhaps he wasn't too happy and Xena was picking up on that or something similar.

Yes, if a Rabbit is in some way vulnerable then either they themselves can show ultra dominant or aggressive behavior or they can be on the receiving end of it. Also, the associate you with food so whenever they see you they think food will be forthcoming and the chasing etc will start.

I just noticed you mention that Xena has been having eye drops. What has been the problem with her eyes ? This could be another relevant issue re their behavior

She had an ulcer on her eye. I'm unsure as to what caused it but when she was rescued (she was found dumped at a tip with 15 guineas) she had conjunctivitis. She was treated for this but always squinted one eye, when I rehomed her she wasn't too bad but one day she had it almost closed all day. Trip to the vets discovered an ulcer, this was months ago, it is healing but very slowly and the eye drops are just anti-biotics coverage as her eye is vulnerable to infection. At the moment the ulcer is tiny but she still squints her eye and is light sensitive in it. I was wondering if it may have affected her sight but as the problems I've had with her and Fiver only started in the last couple of weeks I ruled this out. The vet thinks that she may always squint her eye and that there is no underlying problems as to why it is taking so long to heal.

Fiver has had his teeth checked every 2 weeks, they are getting a little sharp but he is eating perfectly fine and isn't showing any signs of pain. The only thing Fiver is bothered about atm is his hocks and only if I touch them. He has sudocreme rubbed on twice a day but he is a little tender when I do it, otherwise he is fine. I watch them both very closely as I'm a little paranoid about teeth problems.

She certainly does :) I just wish I knew I can do, if anything about it. They have been good today, hardly any chasing. I tried your approach, Red Fraggle and greeted Xena first. Seemed to work for now lol.

Back