• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why did I buy this hutch? :(

xlaurax

Mama Doe
When I first got my rabbits I bought them a hutch which was described as "large". This was before I joined RU.

I have 2 mini lop rabbits living in this, and the only plus side to it I can think of is that it's got a waterproof cover that's coming in very handy in this weather!

They get patio playtime and free run of the kitchen when I'm home but I work full time so they spend a lot of time in here....

I just feel awful :(

I wish I could sell it and just buy something bigger. My OH is sort of putting his foot down over me taking the garden over with a huge bunny hutch but I hopefully could convince him.

Then I think, should I sell it? Should I sell it for someone to put their rabbit(s) in?? :(

I can't afford to just bin it.

I'm so fed up and I just want them to have the best of everything.

I feed them right and they get lots of attention, all the homemade toys I can make and shop bought ones too. They get willow sticks to chew, forage to nom on etc.

I try and make up for their bad living environment in every way I can.

I just.... want a better life for them :cry::cry:

rabbit-shack-hutch-with-under-run-large-10442-p.jpg

*prepares for being shouted at*

I think a lot of us have been in the same boat. When we first had bunnies they lived in a chicken coop style house, the inside bit was too small but thankfully we had a fitted cover so they spent most of their time in the run. They weren't in it long before we decided it was awful (and so hard to clean out!)

What I did was put the old coop on eBay for chickens/bantams only. What you could do is advertise that hutch as a guinea pig hutch (assuming it's 4ft x 2ft?) :thumb: Then at least you won't have the guilt of selling it for someone elses bunnies to live in it, but won't be throwing your money away.

Even a 6ft double wouldn't take up much more room in your garden, but would provide more room for bunnies? Then perhaps a runaround tunnel to a run situated somewhere else in the garden (don't know what your garden is like but I think the run being separated from hutch makes a set-up look less....big? lol) Some nice pots of flowers or a bush will hide it a little bit, or painting the hutch a lovely colour can make a feature of it? :thumb:

ETA: I don't know if anyone on here will ever be satisfied with the homes they have for their bunnies tbh, no matter how big the home, good owners will always be looking at how to improve/give more space etc. I'm not happy with my lot's home still, I wish it was much bigger. I always want to give them more space!

Last edited:
What size is it?
A lot of people on here made the same mistake to begin with, so I wouldn't worry yourself too much. All that matters is what you do for them now you know it's not quite right. :thumb:

I'd suggest putting away a set amount of money each week and keeping an eye on ebay and the free ads for large hutches or playhouses. Perhaps find some of the prettier set ups on here and show your OH that it doesn't have to be a big ugly thing in your garden.

Could it be sold on here and maybe someone could use it as a wee base within a shed or a run?:)

I think a lot of us have been in the same boat. When we first had bunnies they lived in a chicken coop style house, the inside bit was too small but thankfully we had a fitted cover so they spent most of their time in the run. They weren't in it long before we decided it was awful (and so hard to clean out!)

What I did was put the old coop on eBay for chickens/bantams only. What you could do is advertise that hutch as a guinea pig hutch (assuming it's 4ft x 2ft?) :thumb: Then at least you won't have the guilt of selling it for someone elses bunnies to live in it, but won't be throwing your money away.

Even a 6ft double wouldn't take up much more room in your garden, but would provide more room for bunnies? Then perhaps a runaround tunnel to a run situated somewhere else in the garden (don't know what your garden is like but I think the run being separated from hutch makes a set-up look less....big? lol) Some nice pots of flowers or a bush will hide it a little bit, or painting the hutch a lovely colour can make a feature of it? :thumb:

ETA: I don't know if anyone on here will ever be satisfied with the homes they have for their bunnies tbh, no matter how big the home, good owners will always be looking at how to improve/give more space etc. I'm not happy with my lot's home still, I wish it was much bigger. I always want to give them more space!

Thank you all for your replies, I expected much more angry replies :lol:

Specifications
External Size:
Height:116cm
Width:122cm
Depth:56cm
Leg Height:23.5cm

Wire Door Size (Upper)
Height:38.1cm
Width:61.1cm

Wire Door Size (Lower)
Height:37.8cm
Width:43.1cm

Wood Door Size
Height:42.7cm
Width:30cm

Here's pics of my garden, not very tidy atm! :oops:

It's split into 3 levels. As you can see the hutch is on the bottom level, there's no space around it for an added run.

The only other space is where the pergola thingy is, however, it gets very windy up here and it's quite bad higher up the garden so they'd be fairly exposed. You could also see them from the road, which scares me a little, in case some idiot sees them and does something stupid.

The grass is a no-no most of the time. I let them out on there in the sun but when it rains it gets REALLY bogged down, bad drainage I think, very unsuitable for little paws and legs.

I am trying to rearrange the bin area (why are there so many!) and try and get a wider hutch. There's one at P@H that's quite wide but not too deep as to obstruct the patio area.

I'd like to have a run around system but it's fairly difficult to get it to go up the levels, there's the wall / gate in the way and it might be a bit steep for little buns!

I'm just at a dead end tbh, I wish they could have the whole garden :( I've told the OH when we move in a couple of years a massive garden is a must!

Seriously considering a wider hutch though even if it just gives them a couple more feet of space!

top level
20120706180236.jpg

middle level
20120706180246.jpg

bottom level
20120706180256.jpg

Don't feel bad - we're not born with encyclopaedic knowledge on how to look after bunnies and do make mistakes along the way. Personally I think the manufacturers should be taken to task for marketing such woeful accomodation as "huge".

By the way, when I first got Totti 10 1/2 years ago, he was an impulse by in the DIY shop (I'd gone in for fish food and he was all alone). I enquired and they said he was on his own as they thought he was blind, did I want to hold him? Yes, love at first sight and I walked out of there with a rabbit and a 3 foot plywood starter hutch :oops:.

The constant upgrades in accommodation over the 10 1/2 years cost me a small fortune ;)

Your buns are getting free time out which is great, plus the enrichment etc.

Don't feel bad - we're not born with encyclopaedic knowledge on how to look after bunnies and do make mistakes along the way. Personally I think the manufacturers should be taken to task for marketing such woeful accomodation as "huge".

By the way, when I first got Totti 10 1/2 years ago, he was an impulse by in the DIY shop (I'd gone in for fish food and he was all alone). I enquired and they said he was on his own as they thought he was blind, did I want to hold him? Yes, love at first sight and I walked out of there with a rabbit and a 3 foot plywood starter hutch :oops:.

The constant upgrades in accommodation over the 10 1/2 years cost me a small fortune ;)

Your buns are getting free time out which is great, plus the enrichment etc.

Thank you :wave: I just see some of the set ups on here and think... wow! OH says I'm being silly as they get lots of play time etc but I want them to be able to run around all day every day! I suppose I'll get there eventually. I didn't realise so many experienced members had started out like me, thought I was the only one :oops:

Your garden is lovely - so neat!!!

Couple of thoughts - you could easily fit a 6ft double in there next to the bins, and is there enough room to put a run in front in the daytime? (can't see how big the gap is between hutch and house!)

Could the bins be moved at all? Then you could have a run to the side?

(Did consider asking how much was in the shed and can it be emptied - but I guess your OH would put his foot down at that! :lol:

Your garden is lovely - so neat!!!

Couple of thoughts - you could easily fit a 6ft double in there next to the bins, and is there enough room to put a run in front in the daytime? (can't see how big the gap is between hutch and house!)

Could the bins be moved at all? Then you could have a run to the side?

(Did consider asking how much was in the shed and can it be emptied - but I guess your OH would put his foot down at that! :lol:

Aww thanks :oops: need to do some serious weeding but this rain will not stop - my excuse anyway :lol:

:lol: actually the shed is mine but it's full of bunny related gear, including their carrier etc. OH said I could have the shed... he has the garage :roll:

I've thought about putting shelves up for their stuff and then having a tube from hutch to shed, for some extra bun space.... I have considered that and it's always an option.

Not really space for a run in front of hutch - I considered asking a joiner type to build me an extension but it's not feasible :(

I would move the bins if I could but the only other place is next to the eating area or under the kitchen window, neither are really "options" tbh

I might have a serious go at the shed, just wonder if I could get all their stuff onto shelves, they have SO much :shock: hay, straw, feed, etc etc

Aww thanks :oops: need to do some serious weeding but this rain will not stop - my excuse anyway :lol:

:lol: actually the shed is mine but it's full of bunny related gear, including their carrier etc. OH said I could have the shed... he has the garage :roll:

I've thought about putting shelves up for their stuff and then having a tube from hutch to shed, for some extra bun space.... I have considered that and it's always an option.

Not really space for a run in front of hutch - I considered asking a joiner type to build me an extension but it's not feasible :(

I would move the bins if I could but the only other place is next to the eating area or under the kitchen window, neither are really "options" tbh

I might have a serious go at the shed, just wonder if I could get all their stuff onto shelves, they have SO much :shock: hay, straw, feed, etc etc

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Shed!!! You can get those plastic storage boxes which would fit where the hutch is now if not all of the stuff fits on shelves in the shed :D:D

TBH if you line the shed with non slip vinyl you won't need any substrate at all really - in winter you can use blankets on the floor for warmth and have a small hutch or wooden box filled with hay. Hopefully that will cut down on the amount you have to store!

Right I've pitched the idea to OH and he's not sold on it just yet but I'll get there! He doesn't really want me putting a hole in the shed (we only replaced a couple of months ago) for a run around system :roll: I'm currently thinking of installing some sort of aviary style door so that could have the hole in it for the runaround, something like this

sq_permanent_door_large.jpg

what do you think?

If I could get everything on the shelves they'd then have an extra 6 X 4 runaround space :)

If you want to avoid making a whole in the shed, then put the double tiered hutch into the shed.
The good thing with putting the hutch in the shed is that you wont need to provide levels, as the top level of the hutch will fulfil that purpose.

Install shelves in the shed and place the 'shed stuff' on there.

Examples

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=5208003&viewfull=1#post5208003

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...door-Housing&p=5208026&viewfull=1#post5208026

Thank you :wave: I do love the playhouse conversions, I'd love one of those eventually :love:

I had that hutch when Donny was tiddly :D I love it tbh, not for rabbits, but I love the depth of it and think it's a great piggie hutch :D when Don got bigger we attached the 7ft run onto it permanently, and then he had his 6ft hutch and run while Lola moved into his old setup and now they're together I can't get rid of the hutch because I like it so much :lol: it looks brand new still for something over a year old because of the cover :D

You'll get there in the end :wave:

Thank you :wave: I just see some of the set ups on here and think... wow! OH says I'm being silly as they get lots of play time etc but I want them to be able to run around all day every day! I suppose I'll get there eventually. I didn't realise so many experienced members had started out like me, thought I was the only one :oops:

Not many of us here who have got things right first time round! :)

Why don't you sell the hutch and have the buns in the shed permanently? :wave: Then you wouldn't need the runaround system or to cut holes in the shed :thumb: Plus be more monies for toys and bits for the shed :D

You sound like me and my hubby! I keep expanding our set up. Just spent £89 on a hutch for them to use as a den (+£30 on modifications to stop the chewing out etc) and now I'm already thinking I should have gone bigger! It will have to do us til winter than I'm going to get something specially made I think.
Could you get a runaround pipe up to that bit of grass with a run on there? They apparently can go up and down hill through them.

Lovely neat garden btw!

i agree with letting the bunnies living permanently in the shed. why dont you put the hutch in the back of it, remove the doors at the bottom so the buns have somewhere to snuggle in colder weather then block off the upstairs and use that and the top of the hutch to store things.

i did that for mine as i have a lot of stuff to store but it works great.

you can kind of see whats going on here;

extendedrun007.jpg

I think I would put them in the shed too.
You could put some of the stuff currently stored in the shed in the hutch!

I've had the cutting the hole in the shed argument too. I've won. I genuinely don't see why it's a big deal!

Just remind him that if you ever want to use the shed as a shed again all you have to do is attach a bit of mdf or something over the hole.

My suggestion was going to be that you could make the whole of that bottom area in to a very tall run that you and your OH could both walk through, but if you can have the shed then that will be a whole bunch easier.

Back