• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metacam dosage (cat version)...?

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
For a 1.4 kg bunny?

I've read the instructions over & over but don't understand how much I'm supposed to be giving him :oops:

No :? She just sent me a prescription & explained that he should be having the same amount as a 3 kg cat, but didn't specify how much that'd be exactly.

She doesn't answer the phone at this time of day :roll: She's not the best vet seriously, she's better than my local horrible one but just she doesn't seem to care :( I had to talk her into even giving me Metacam as she really didn't think it was even worth trying (it's for swelling in the nasal pasages due to snuffles)

could you find another vet? thats terrible....

The OP lives in Sweden and I think has had problems finding a good vet there.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question - do you have other info? What does the box/bottle say, and did it come with instructions?

The previous dose range was 0.3 to 0.6mg per kg in 24hrs A new article by John Chitty & Virginia Richardson has increased that range to 0.5 to 1mg per kg in 12hrs!! so a significant increase. Using the new values this is how I would work it out for a 1.4 kg rabbit; bear in mind the dose range above is for metcam in mg per kg and the liquid in the bottle is mg per ml !!!

For a 1.4kg bun the range is therefore 1.4 x 0.5 = 0.7mg to 1.4 x 1 = 1.4mg every 12 hours

I am assuming the cat metacam is the same as our UK bottles which state metacam is 0.5mg/ml PLS CHECK THIS FIRST! If so..

Dose range is 0.7 / 0.5 = 1.4mls to 1.4 / 0.5 = 2.8mls

So between 1.4ml to 2.8ml every 12hrs (using the previous range the dose rate is 0.84ml to 1.68ml in 24hrs)

Over here cat metacam is only a third of the strength of dog metacam! I make a point of requesting dog metacam so you only have to get a third of the amount into your bunny...much easier!

ETA: just read the first post and adjusted calculations for a 1.4kg bunny!

Last edited:
The OP lives in Sweden and I think has had problems finding a good vet there.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question - do you have other info? What does the box/bottle say, and did it come with instructions?

True :( There are great vets here, just not where I live for some reason.

It has intructions but I don't understand them :oops: They state different dosages etc. depending on the condition/purpose and I don't know which one is most accurate for what Boris has. They're just confusing.

The previous dose range was 0.3 to 0.6mg per kg in 24hrs A new article by John Chitty & Virginia Richardson has increased that range to 0.5 to 1mg per kg in 12hrs!! so a significant increase. Using the new values this is how I would work it out for a 2.5kg rabbit; bear in mind the dose range above is for metcam in mg per kg and the liquid in the bottle is mg per ml !!!

For a 2.5kg bun the range is therefore 2.5 x 0.5 = 1.25mg to 2.5 x 1 = 2.5mg every 12 hours

I am assuming the cat metacam is the same as our UK bottles which state metacam is 0.5mg/ml PLS CHECK THIS FIRST! If so..

Dose range is 1.25 / 0.5 = 2.5mls to 2.5 / 0.5 = 5mls

So between 2.5mls to 5mls every 12hrs (using the previous range the dose rate is 1.5ml to 3ml in 24hrs)

Over here cat metacam is only a third of the strength of dog metacam! I make a point of requesting dog metacam so you only have to get a third of the amount into your bunny...much easier!
Thank you so much! I'll double check & see if this can be applied to the one I have, but I think they're the same :wave:

I would wait and speak to your vet if you are unsure

yuki is under weight and had 0.3-0.4 with the small thin syringe

I've just noticed you said your bunny was 1.4kg so I have adjusted the calculations!!

1.4ml to 2.8ml every 12hrs (using the previous range the dose rate is 0.84ml to 1.68ml in 24hrs)

Thanks! However i just texted my vet & now she says he's supposed to be having only 0.3? Is it just me or does that seem like a TINY amount!?

Its very confusing with metacam as its licenced for dogs and cats and all animals have different metabolisms so if you gave a dog and a cat which weighed exactly the same weight the same dose it would be incorrect because they have different metabolisms. My vet did tell me that it would be difficult to overdose a rabbit as they have a high metabolic rate so I ended up giving my bunny who weighs 5kg the same as a 5kg dog even though that is obviously wrong? I used the attachment syringe that fits onto the end of the bottle.

It really needs working out properley but as far as I am aware its still unlicenced in rabbits?

So basically its pretty much guess work and nobody knows unless there is some scientific person on here that knows a rabbits metabolic rate and can work out exactly how much they need???

I have just emailed Boehringer Ingelheim and asked them about the doses of metacam in rabbits because I would like to know as well and also if it is licenced for rabbits so will let you know what they say.

Last edited:
I don't know about in Sweden but in the UK the syringe in the metacam box is listed in kg doses, so you simply draw the syringe up to the 3kg dose line. That does seem a very small amount, BUT we must remember that the metacam here is being given to reduce nasal inflammation not for pain relief, so it is very possible that it will work perfectly well at the lower dose for the purposes of reducing inflammation. I would give it a go on the low dose to start off with and then talk with her about increasing it if it is needed. Good luck xx

Thanks! However i just texted my vet & now she says he's supposed to be having only 0.3? Is it just me or does that seem like a TINY amount!?

thats about right :wave: if its cat metacam, and hes supposed to have a 3kg dose then you draw the syringe up to the "3" mark :wave: thats the dose I give to my cat :thumb:

thats about right :wave: if its cat metacam, and hes supposed to have a 3kg dose then you draw the syringe up to the "3" mark :wave: thats the dose I give to my cat :thumb:

This is what I did and my vet told me it was incorrect to do that? She said its not based on weight but on metabolic rate of the animal which is why there is a different version for cats and dogs so noone knows what dose to give as its unlicenced in rabbits. Vets will give different doses dependent on their personal opinion so its a bit of a guessing game.

I don't know about in Sweden but in the UK the syringe in the metacam box is listed in kg doses, so you simply draw the syringe up to the 3kg dose line. That does seem a very small amount, BUT we must remember that the metacam here is being given to reduce nasal inflammation not for pain relief, so it is very possible that it will work perfectly well at the lower dose for the purposes of reducing inflammation. I would give it a go on the low dose to start off with and then talk with her about increasing it if it is needed. Good luck xx

My syringe is just mls?! Did she mean 0.3mls? that is really small only 0.15mg of metacam, BUT I have no experience of giving painkiller for nasal inflammation so I would go with what Santa said!

My calcs are based on the most recent general dose range from a recent veterinary paper and I'm used to giving the higher doses for gut stasis.

This is what I did and my vet told me it was incorrect to do that? She said its not based on weight but on metabolic rate of the animal which is why there is a different version for cats and dogs so noone knows what dose to give as its unlicenced in rabbits. Vets will give different doses dependent on their personal opinion so its a bit of a guessing game.

Yes I think you are right. I was giving a 10kg dose of the dog version of loxicom to my bunny twice a day. My bunny def is not 10kg :lol:

Back