• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would someone be able to help? Re Plant/Weed ID - Pics Added - Please help!

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
If i was to take a few photos of my garden, namely the weeds and plants, would anyone tell me if any are bunny suitable/dangerous?

If i was to take a few photos of my garden, namely the weeds and plants, would anyone tell me if any are bunny suitable/dangerous?

I would probably be able to help with some and I'm sure other people could too. Photo away!

I would probably be able to help with some and I'm sure other people could too. Photo away!

This. :wave:

Few plants are so dangerous that they would cause harm with a nibble or two. I have found that the longer a rabbit is outside/free ranges, the more 'instinctive' they become and begin to know what to eat and what not to. I'm not advocating relying on this obviously, it is just an observation I have made over the years, especially with more rabbity rabbits, as opposed to the stoopid non-rabbity rabbits :lol: Comparing Nino and Poppy for instance. Poppy NEVER eats anything she can't....she has her head screwed on the right way around! ;):lol: But when they spent two weeks in my dad's garden (variety of edibles and non edibles) Poppy turned completely native and was looking longingly up at the big open fields behind the gate, and even Nino got a bit of sense in his little head after a while! :roll:

i'm wondering about some sort of weed with small leaves and tiny yellow flowers which has spread like a blanket all over the lawn

i'm wondering about some sort of weed with small leaves and tiny yellow flowers which has spread like a blanket all over the lawn

The only thing I can think of that fits the description (without pic) is creeping buttercup, which is toxic. If you google it, perhaps it will show picture you can compre.

I've been looking all over the internet and so many weeds look alike :shock: I *think* it could be yellow trefoil :?

Its taken me ages, but here are the pics i would like ID'd and told if they are alright for bunny eating, toxic, or 'ok to leave there'.

This ones a tree;

1)
IMG-20120814-00059.jpg

2)
IMG-20120814-00058.jpg

3)
IMG-20120814-00057.jpg

4)
IMG-20120814-00055.jpg

5)
IMG-20120814-00054.jpg

Could anyone help ID for me please? Pretty Please? :D

Picture 1 is not a tree - it is a decorative herbaceous shrub - Weigela - It is not toxic though not really on the list for feeding to them either. They flower profusely in spring and sometime srepeat now.

Picture 2 is one of the many types of 'thistle' - maybe smooth sowthistle (Sonchus cleraceous) - and is very very yummy (t rabbits)
STOP PRESS EDIT now positively identified as Lob leafed Prickly Lettuce - see post with images further down thread!!
Lobed-leaf Prickly Lettuce is also known as Compass plant: (Lactuca serriola . . there doesnt seem to be a Latin term for the lobed leaf variation , unless it is Lactuca saligna - (Willow Leafed Prickly Lettuce)

PS all edible

Picture 3 is (hang on while I have another look . . ) Rosebay willowherb - but not a great specimen - Epilobium angustifolium.

Picture 4: I am having trouble with this just because it looks all of a jumble in the piccies - and am guessing its some kind of small prostrate or creeping spurge -especially given the gravelly look of the soil - Technically spurge is not good and this one looks manky and perhaps rusted ( a plant disease) so would not do the buns any good. I think it is Euphorbia prostrata but could be one of the other invasice small euphorbias -our allotment is also covered with them at present.

Last edited:
If you pull the spurge out, don't let the sap get in your eyes unless you fancy an afternoon at A & E:shock::shock:

Hideous stuff!

strangely though one of my buns used to seek out one of the cultivated varieties in the flower beds and happily munch it - I went mad first time I saw him and chased him off and examined his mouth for sap burns and ulceration (of which there was none) - but he just carried on!!!

He lived until he was almost 10 and only passed away of heart failure so it didnt seem to harm him:shock:

pic 2 is teasel :wave:

I thought that at first as the leaves are so similar in shape etc but we have a LOT of this plant on the allotments (I have been picking it and feeding it for several years now!! but the odd one gets to flower!) and also we have teasal - and this plant does not result in teasal flowers or heads! (it is also quite a bit smaller - which is tricky to tell from images)

i'll try to remember to take a pic of the teasel out the back that has just come into flower tomorrow

we can swap images - it would be good to clarify this one as it has bugged me for a while - but mine def. doesn't end up with teasal flowers! I have teasals as well as this.

From the point of view of the OP its irrelevant of course as both smooth thistle and teasal are yummy to buns!

yes i agree. i'm not goin out to take pics today. it's tippin down! it is definitely greater teasel out there that i have. i'm out this afternoon til about 8.30pm please remind me to go out the back tomoro if i forget about this
you could google teasel leaf/leaves in the meantime, see what images come up

yes i agree. i'm not goin out to take pics today. it's tippin down! it is definitely greater teasel out there that i have. i'm out this afternoon til about 8.30pm please remind me to go out the back tomoro if i forget about this
you could google teasel leaf/leaves in the meantime, see what images come up

I have been out this morning (rain forecast later today here!!) and triple checked!!

I have photographed the teasels and also the other plant which is the one I think OP has.

The teasel as you know have long ovate leaves but have mauve thistle like flowers on long stalks that then 'teasals'. The greater teasel can grow above 5-6ft in a good soil/situation.

The plant OP has is generally much much smaller than the teasel (up to 3ft), has ovate leaves carried in the same way as a teasel - but when younger much lighter in colour and less tough, but a mass of very very small yellow flowers carried on long stalks. I collect both for my rabbits. In fact I collect the smaller one so much that I rarely see the flowers!!!

Teasal:

file.jpg

file-1.jpg

Note pointy leaves and size and purple flower with teasal.

Other Plant (which I am positive OP has and which I am trying to tie down!!!) Note that the slightly older plant which is flowering has slightly more glaucus leaves but this IS the same plant as I have them in all different stages. It is much smaller than teasal, the leaves are not so pointed, and the flowers are small yellow on long stalks - typically it reaches about 3-4ft perhaps a bit more if you include flower stalks on a good soil.

file-2.jpg

file-5.jpg

file-3.jpg

EDIT: Lobed-leaf Prickly Lettuce!!!! also known as Compass plant: (Lactuca serriola . . there doesnt seem to be a Latin term for the lobed leaf variation , unless it is Lactuca saligna - (Willow Leafed Prickly Lettuce) though both clearly shown on various websites and books).

SO pleased we had this come up as I have been trying to tie this one down for ages!!!

Last edited:
Back