• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male Pulling Fur Out

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
So I've started to notice Mr appears to be "over grooming" under his neck on his chest and he is starting develop a bald patch around that area. I physically saw him tugging it of his chest and also he seems to be over grooming his left front leg too and he sometimes (it looks funny) like he is trying to eat his leg like a chicken drumbstick?? He doesn't leave the fur anyone and I've seen him a few times with big chunks hanging out his mouth like he has just ate a bird (sorry)

He is neutered, around 2 and half. An indoor free range bun. No cage nothing! He has also been getting some free range time in the garden supervised.

Has lots of toys, tunnels, hides etc

Eating, drinking and pooping fine.

Anyone any ideas why he might be doing this??

Mo does that all the time with his 'man chest', he is literally just pulling all of his dead fur out, he only really does it when he is moulting although we do notice him dipping his chin/mouth into the water bowl and then cleaning his 'man chest' we think he is just a very clean bubba.

As for the leg i have no idea - has he been vaccinated before he goes outdoors??

Hope this helps x

No signs of mites or anything.

Vaccs are fully upto date etc

He will sit with Wilma and they both start grooming at the same time he just spends along time on his leg and chest.

i would suggest that there is an underlying problem of some kind

either physical (esp the leg bit makes me feel that) OR mental - is he bonded? Is he grooming himsef as he has no other bun to groom?

Many house buns are happy as a one if they have bonded with their carer, but others need another bun.

However do not rule out physical.

Back