• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with tilting head/e-cuniculi

bellabobs

New Kit
Hi, i am wondering if anyone can help me ?
I have a female rabbit (Bella) who is around 18 months. She has recently developed head tilt or (possibly) e-cuniculi very suddenly. I had noticed it the night before my mum and dad were going away for the weekend. The next day we were taking them (Bella and her sister Daisy) to a 'Rabbit Hotel' as i call it. When we got there the lady (Sharon) told us to take her to the vets immediately. So we got an appointment within 1 hour. The vet then put her on 2mg of Baytril for 5 days (with 2mg of water) She went home that day. So after 4 days (Monday) she went back to the vets. The vet was surprised that she was even alive let alone that she was eating and drinking as normal. He gave her some more Baytril and a Anti-inflammatory. On Wednesday my mums friend (who is a veterinary nurse ) asked her vet what else we could do. She then came round with Panacur which she needs to be on for 28 days. So far although she is still eating and drinking well and running around the garden albeit a bit punch drunk, there is no improvement in the head tilt which is breaking our hearts as we´d like to know for sure that she is not in any pain. :(:(We are going back to the vets tomorrow again.
Has anyone else had an experience like this and has anyone got any ideas or thoughts?
Anything greatly received.

I am sorry that Bella is unwell

The following links may be useful to read.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/head_tilt.htm

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/tilt.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...N3ISKU&sig=AHIEtbR1V0Bkgl46nxoM3IZVX7iM5Uaz_Q

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

http://www.onthewonk.com/

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...tion-E.c.-Update-22-2-Down-eye-now-open-(pic)

I think you also need to find a Vet who has great experience in treating Rabbits as the initial advice/treatment given by your current Vet does indicate that he/she is not too 'Rabbit Savvy'. If you post a thread over in Rabbit Chat titled 'Rabbit Savvy Vet Needed in *insert geographical area* some Forum Members may be able to give you some recommendations.

Treating headtilt, whether it is due to a bacterial otitis media or EC, can be VERY protracted. We are talking months in some cases. But recovery IS possible, although some Rabbits may be left with a permanent tilt they adjust and cope with it very well. Possible longterm complications can be Dental issues and/or eye problems. But again these can be addressed and treated on an individual basis. I know of someone who had a Rabbit who developed Head Tilt at the age of 2. After months of treatment he got to a point where he was coping very well, but his head was severely tilted. He still loved life and he actually went on to live to the grand age of 10 !!

Good luck xx

Hi Jack's-Jane

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to look into the rabbit savvy vet now. I accept it may take time. I just want to know for sure she's not in any pain. Mind you she still has fight in her!! Trying to give her the antibiotics is a daily battle!!
Thanks again
x

This has just happened to my bunny who is four. I have been given 0.7 of Meatacam once a day , 0.3 of Baytril twice a day and Panacur once a day by the vet. There's lots of lovely people on here that can offer support and advice.

I was shocked on how quick it came on :shock: I dread to think what would have happend to her if she had been left for a few days like it. Thinking of your bun x

Hi

Thanks for that!! Have you seen any improvement yet? Bella has now been on the Baytril for a week and on the Panacur since Wednesday and although ok in herself the head tilt is still awful and affecting her balance at times. We have now made an appointment with a rabbit expert vet for next Tuesday. And i agree it came on so quickly, it was shocking.:(
xx
This has just happened to my bunny who is four. I have been given 0.7 of Meatacam once a day , 0.3 of Baytril twice a day and Panacur once a day by the vet. There's lots of lovely people on here that can offer support and advice.

I was shocked on how quick it came on :shock: I dread to think what would have happend to her if she had been left for a few days like it. Thinking of your bun x

If you see my post in Rabbit chat, you'll see what happened but breifly i noticed what looked like a limp and nothing more on the Saturday to which the vet gave her a good check and agreed so she was given a jab of Metacam and some oral i was to give her for a few days. On the Sunday evening i noticed she was not herself, a bit oddly wobbly and a very slight head tilt. I got hold of some Panacur and gave her some within a few hours and whisked her to the vet at 8am Monday.

So far she seems no worse which, from what the kind people on here have said, is good but i've been told she could get worse before getting better. From what i gather, it could be three weeks or more until i see any improvement. Hopefully someone can add to this if i'm right or wrong as i'm still rather confused. I've been told this 'thing' can live inside 60% of bunnies but not all get sick. Does this open tehe Panacur debate as i'm confused about that too :?

Laura on here very helpfully said about gentle massage which Amber seems to appreciate. I've alread learnt little things to help like putting hay higher up and putting greens on an upturned bowl so she can eat it better (i'm soft). I hate seeing her like this and breaks my heart but i'm determined to get her better.

Back