• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slow eater and super fast eater

Lucy1666

Mama Doe
my two buns arent togteher yet but hopefully will be bonding soon :D

but i know ones really fast and eats it all straight away while the other likes to leave it and come back and eat it a bit later :lol:
how would i go around solving this problem ?
besides seperate feeding :?

I had 2 rabbits who were on different pelleted foods with one being a slower eater than the other. I used to hand feed mine so that they would get the correct food and equal amounts.

I had 2 rabbits who were on different pelleted foods with one being a slower eater than the other. I used to hand feed mine so that they would get the correct food and equal amounts.

thanks just gathering ideas atm there not togterher yet but i know amy will eat of ant if not :roll:

If there is no medical reason for eating slower then i often find the slow eater learns to eat much quicker when bonded to a fast eater ;)

Well I have Bella who just gobbles her food up, and Boris who certainly takes his time, and I have to hand-feed them to make sure they both get something. I could never put it all in a bowl or even two bowls, as Bella would just eat all of it and not leave him anything. I've fed them seperately on occasions too.

Well I have Bella who just gobbles her food up, and Boris who certainly takes his time, and I have to hand-feed them to make sure they both get something. I could never put it all in a bowl or even two bowls, as Bella would just eat all of it and not leave him anything. I've fed them seperately on occasions too.

hand feed or seperate may work and it would be great if he would eat faster but i surpose il see when i start bondign :lol:

If there is no medical reason for eating slower then i often find the slow eater learns to eat much quicker when bonded to a fast eater ;)

Marnie did :lol: Blue was a little pig. I used to scatter feed and then put some in a treat ball so they both had equal chance at getting the food.

Interestingly, since we lost Blue...she has slowwed down again.

Daisy is a really fast eater whereas Jack takes his time. Scatter feeding didn't work so i handfeed jack throughout the day and ensure they have unlimited hay and they both seem fine.

sox eats slow mabel is a gannet, i feed them ther pellets in morning and take them both to opposite side of room, otherwise mabel would have double :lol:
at suppertime, i st by bowl and watch them as sox lkes to chew and enjoy whereas mabel shoves more and more in :lol:

I too hand fed mine at first so i knew who was getting what. Ollie came from a rescue and spent a bit of time in a large group. When i first got him he used to have four or five pellets in his mouth at once :shock: Amber was a more leisurely eater and took her time so it was a bit of a nightmare.

I started to feed one at the top of the hutch and one at the bottom which i still do with greens. They eat pellets side by side at roughly the same speed now. Amber knows she has to be quick and Ollie realises he can slow down as no one is going to pinch his food.

Back