• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Moved house and slugs in garden

Hi,

We have recently moved to a new house, with a garden that is secure for Millie to run around. There are flowers and plants on one side of the garden and Millie likes to hide there and tries to eat the flowers (although she has no front teeth!) On closer inspection to the plants, I noticed there were several small slugs which I removed by hand, but I'm guessing there are going to be more and that they have been there for some time as there is a lot of slug damage to the leaves. I was wondering whether slugs are harmful/poisonous to rabbits (if she manages to eat one by accident whilst eating leaves), and if they are, what is the best way to remove them as I cannot stop Millie from hiding in the plants unless I don't let her out her hutch which I'd rather not do. Thanks for your help as always.

I have loads of slugs and snails here - especially as it has been so wet. They don't seem to bother the buns, but they do get inside the hutches and slime all over the bowls. Sometimes they get stuck in the buns' fur and need combing out. Other than that, leave them to it. Just avoid using any sort of slug pellets.

I agree with Shimmer's comment as they don't really bother buns but they are horrible aren't they!! I have heard you can buy copper band in a roll and wrap around any area you don't want the slugs to go to. You can buy this from Robert Dyas I think that's the cheapest. Good luck, lets hope the rain stops soon and all the slugs wonder off!! Good luck. I've attached the details for you;

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~156161~Times-Up-Slug-and-Snail-Barrier

Please don't use pellets though :thumb:

You'll have to get a hedgehog! No don't be tempted to use slug pellets. Someone told me they can kill a rabbit.

Back