• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Benny ate her sutures! What to do??

emileemason

Warren Scout
So i went to the vet to get Benny's sutures removed (from neuter) and she had eaten the sticking out parts so the only parts of the suture left are under the skin.
The vet said it didn't matter and didn't do anything..

Maybe he is a vet and knows more than i do, but.. is it really safe to just leave them there? There are bumps under the skin where the vet said muscle was forming around the left in bits..

Should i ask another vet or leave it? I don't want to wake up one day to a poor sick Benny because her body starts rejecting the foreign object which is the suture :(

Opinions??

Sorry hun, I can't help as my vet uses surgical glue not sutures on the external wound site, for this very reason:?
Someone else will be along shortly to help I'm sure;)

hope so, because even though the vet said its okay, i dont think that he is very rabbit savy. and it just doesnt seem okay to leave it there.
i got 3 females neutered, benny was first and got normal sutures and then my other two oscar and bella got dissolvable, so dont know why he didnt give benny the dissolvable kind :?

Mylo has done exactly the same, I'm worried about the vet will say but her appointment to have them removed isn't until next Friday :?

Unsure, but if I were you I'd randomly pick a different vets out and phone them.

It all depends on whether they used dissolvable stitches or not anyway.

To be honest, I wouldn't worry. Simply because the stitches were sterile when they were put in so won't cause an infection. They should, in time, work their own way back out - the body is an amazing thing when it comes to cleaning itself.

I know she's human, but my daughter got an enormous (2x3mm) splinter - actually it was half a tree :roll: - stuck in her wrist. It was too deep to tease out with a needle so popped her to the Doctor. She said to leave it. A minor op to remove it would cause more stress to Niamh that it was worth; it was now sterile as the body's white cells had attacked it (which is why you get the redness and heat) and it will work its way out in due course BUT if it doesn't, then in a few years when she's a bit older, she can have an op if she chooses. That was almost 6 months ago. I noticed last night that it is indeed closer to the surface of the skin so I reckon it's on its way out.

I wouldn't worry.

MissSherwood89, if your vet says they need to come out can you let me know :) so then i can find a different vet :)

And thanks for the advice AngieB, i guess it will probably work in the same way, was just worried because rabbits are so sensitive and i didnt want anything bad to happen to my baby :) I will double check with the rspca vet because i adopted another bun the day before yesterday from them and i have to go back to get her stitches removed in a few days and ill ring in advance to check about Benny's circumstances.

But thanks :wave:

I will do :)

I know she has dissolvable stitches internally and, from what I can see, just one stitch in her skin. She could have had more for all I know, I try to check her every day but she struggles a lot so I don't want to make anything worse. The wound is still closed so I'm trying not worry too much for now.

Edit: Just managed to have a nosey, looks like the stitch is just hanging out now :roll: The wound is closed, it looks clean, she doesn't appear to be in any pain, etc. Still going to keep a watchful eye on her, just incase.

Last edited:
Thanks MissSherwood,

Yeah Benny only seems to have one bump where the suture is still under the skin and everything has properly healed, just not keen on the bump.

My buns also hated me always checking their healing progress, and i hated it because i didnt want them to struggle away from me and then open their wound or something,

I wish you could teach a bunny like a dog, sit, lie down, play dead, then you could just check stitches and do nails as they were on their back :D

Back