• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What should I do if...

DevonDwarf

Warren Scout
What should I do if bunny does a wee on us? We're trying to litter train him - he has a litter tray in the corner of the lounge (he's done a few wees and poops in that corner so we put the tray there) but he just did a wee on my boyfriends leg :lol: I want him to know its wrong and that he should've done it in the tray. We picked him up straight away and placed him in it but he jumped straight out, so I don't thnk he's learnt anything! Any help appreciated!! :D:thumb:

Put a few poos in there.
If Im really honest though, none of my lot were particularly clean until the spey/neuter.
Mrs Bun would do it in one corner.I suppose that was good.

Littering is a form of area marking....

Yep, already put a few poos in there, and a bit of wood shavings with wee on it. He did do one wee in there on the first day, but doesn't seem to have carried on with it unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to train him within a day, I'm just looking for tips as to how I can do it! :)

Is he neutered yet? If he isn't (and given that you've said elsewhere that he's 11 weeks, I'm gonna make that assumption) I'm afraid I would just accept that this is part of his growing up (different context, but you wouldn't expect a 6 month old baby not to poop in its nappy or to understand a telling off and change their behaviour, so why expect a bunny to understand that his natural behaviour is something you don't like). Most bunnies will litter train themselves once they are neutered - the behaviour you describe is pretty normal and not really something you will be able to stop without neutering - I wouldn't mind betting that it will stop of its own accord within a few weeks after that :D

I've put cat litter and hay in his tray (along with a few poos and a tiny bit of wee soaked wood shavings). Yes, he's 11 weeks. I'm not expecting him to be littered trained in the next few weeks :lol: that would be just too miraculous!!! I just didn't know what to do/how to train him. I read somewhere that you should gently put his nose near his little accidents and then put him in the litter tray. I don't like the sound of doing that though :? So do I just sit back and let him learn naturally?

I read somewhere that you should gently put his nose near his little accidents and then put him in the litter tray. I don't like the sound of doing that though :? So do I just sit back and let him learn naturally?

I don't think putting his nose near accidents will make the slightest bit of difference, he won't have a clue what you're trying to tell him by doing that. Are you planning on getting him neutered? Like I say, if you get him neutered when he's old enough, you should pretty much be able to sit back and let him learn naturally. If you don't get him neutered, chances are he will get more untidy over time, as he will develop a hormonal urge to mark his territory.

Sometimes they can be assisted by not letting them free range until they have got the hang of using a tray, but by the sound of your little chap, it's quite a deliberate wee rather than a general non-litter-training, so it sounds far more likely that with him it is a deliberate wee to mark his territory rather than not wanting to be a clean boy and using a toilet corner. In which case, if you get him neutered you should pretty much be able to sit back and he will litter train himself. Just to check - you are using a non-clumping cat litter aren't you? It is very important as if they eat any of the clumping type it can cause a blockage in their guts, so worth checking if you're not certain.

Good luck!

Yes, we're are definitely getting him neutered when he's old enough. As you say, I'm sure that'll make a huge difference! And he is only very young, so I can't expect the world for, him just yet! :lol: And yes, we're using the non-clumping type :D Thank you for all the advice :)

Back