• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would this work?

freddie&daphne

Warren Scout
Hi, new here and wanting some feedback on a little plan I've cooked up for my bunny's home. I have 2 mini rex (Freddie a castor buck and Daphne a broken castor doe) who are house in a eglu with the extended 3m run (on grass), they are then attached to a small 2 tier wooden hutch by a runaround pipe. They use the wooden hutch as a bit of a cosy den where I hide treats and the top level is dark with sheepskin rugs for them to snuggle. I'm thinking ahead now for winter and my plan is to bury a couple of those green plastic tunnels (bunny warren?) under some topsoil and turf over them to make little underground shelters for them. Has anyone tried this? Thought also they might like to sit on top of them as if I do them at the high end of the run they will still be able to periscope from the top and it would hopefully be insulated by the soil and grass. Any thoughts much appreciated! :D

Hi! Welcome to RU :wave: IMO the green tunnels aren't very strong and are very easily chewed. Maybe using something like PVC pipe would be safer? Your housing sounds lovely! I used to have an eglu and they are great! It sounds like a wonderful idea to let them sit on top and be able to hop through. You will have some very happy rabbits :D

I think it sounds like a lovely idea if you use tubes that are strong enough, but my one concern is that when rabbits are unwell they tend to go and hide somewhere, if they chose an underground tunnel you could have a very difficult time getting them out.

I think it sounds like a lovely idea if you use tubes that are strong enough, but my one concern is that when rabbits are unwell they tend to go and hide somewhere, if they chose an underground tunnel you could have a very difficult time getting them out.

agree with this but we also need pics of your set up :D :lol:

might work if the tunnels are small

Hands up who else is thinking of tellytubby land?!

Thanks folks, good idea about using stronger pipes. There's some road works going on down the road, might see if I can charm a length of the black pipe from them! How do I post pictures?

Point taken about if they were ill, I would only use small lengths I think.

I've brought them in today because it's just so wet, I'm now wishing I'd put more thought into their extension and got a sturdier hutch that's a bit better protected. I've got in from work today and the inside is soaked on the bottom floor. Luckily we have a big indoor cage from when they had their op's in May.

Tellytubby land was my inspiration!!!

14062012630.jpg

14062012631.jpg

14062012634.jpg

01072012757.jpg

Sorry they are massive, best I could do I'm not very good at stuff like this!

i've thought about an underground tunnel too - crossing in front of the shed door to get between two runs. I never did it, but my main concern was how I would stop water pooling in it if it rained! I didn't come up with a solution....

Love your setup!

It wouldn't be underground as such, I was going to have it at ground level but just build like a mound around and over it and turf it. :D

Back