• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs and snails! Blurgh

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Since the weather has been so wet there are snails and slugs EVERYWHERE :shock: I find them in the rabbits food bowls, in the hay, on the walls and ceiling, and they are just gross and annoying me really badly as I don't want them making the rabbits food go bad with slime.

Does anyone know of a way I can stop them getting into the hutch? Any I find I throw into the grass but they keep coming back :evil:

can you put any barrier strips around hutch bases like you can get the copper barrier strips for plants? or stones or egg shells, anything they won;t like sliding along soo eaasly, hate them too

I will see if that might work. I was thinking of putting lines of salt around the bottom of the hutch but then that would just get washed away :?

I will see if that might work. I was thinking of putting lines of salt around the bottom of the hutch but then that would just get washed away :?

yes it would in this wet weather, can you put beer traps nearby they may go for that instead of the hutches

I'm looking after my friend's rabbit just now, and he often has slugs and snails invade his hutch. The slime trails on the bowls are horrid to scrub off. :mrgreen:

i love snails, so i feed them cucumber :oops:, keeps them off my plants and out of the hutches, so everyone is happy :D
IMG-20120526-00333.jpg

I'm having the same problem with them getting in the rabbit run eugh. They must be going through the mesh :(

i love snails, so i feed them cucumber :oops:, keeps them off my plants and out of the hutches, so everyone is happy :D
IMG-20120526-00333.jpg

Oh does that actually help stop them going into places you don't want? Might have to try that, everybody is happy then :lol:

Funny thing is I actually have a Giant African Land snail in my room. But he likes to stay in his tank and not in my rabbits food lol

:wave: I love snails! I used to own some giant african land snails. :lol:

Also encouraging hedgehogs into the garden can help with snail and slug population. Tbh I don't think there's much way to discourage them unless feeding them helps like someone has mentioned. I have many hedgehogs come into my garden and I still find a hell of a lot of slugs and snails in my garden, fortunately they don't bother me much as we have so many plants etc they never have much effect on a certain type.

Toads and frogs will also eat snails and slugs :)

I tried the copper strips but they soon stop working and need replacing. And snails are little sneaks. They climb up other things like the walls and get to the hutch that way avoiding the strips all together. I started to leave piles of rabbit food under the hutch and they went for that and stayed out of the hutch, mostly. I like the cucumber idea though!

dont get me wrong they still have a go at my plants but if i go out in a morning and at night with cucumber, they make a beeline for it!:lol: and of course when it rains, i have regulars coming now :oops::shock:

We have had the occasional hedehog in the garden but not many. We had a load of frogs and toads in the pond earlier this year for spawning, but I don't know where they have all gone :(

I had to remove a snail from Mr McFlurry's lower hutch this morning. Given the warm muggy weather, I'm pleasantly surprised he's not been more bothered by 'visitors' to his hutch.

Back