• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little netherland dwarf losing weight.

Mrs. Bunnykins

Wise Old Thumper
I'm needing some advice on behalf of a friend.

They have a six year old un-neutered netherland dwarf buck. He is fit and well, eating and drinking alright and everything that goes in .............comes out correctly the other end!!! Bright, lively and in the best of health.

The owner rang me with concerns that the little bunny is slowly losing weight. Nothing mega, just a few grams over the past week or two.

So I've asked them about his appetite. OK!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^moulting. Finished. (Just in case that was knocking him off kilter a little.)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^exercise. He's getting plenty, so it could be that he is more active thus burning off some weight. So a maybe.
Also asked them to check for pinworms. Would they have any effect on his weight?

No other ideas from me...............any from fellow RU members?

Also can he have porridge oats to help him pop some weight on? If so quantity and frequency?

This bunny is not overweight to start off with, rather on the slim side. Bless him.

Thanking you in advance for any ideas. xxx

vet trip first please :thumb:

then porridge (1 tsp of oats mixed with a bit of boiled water and left to soak) fed a few times a week, can be built up if needed
baby food, pureed safe food obviously
barley rings (used for horses) again possibly soaked
crappy rabbit museli :wave:

vet trip first please :thumb:

then porridge (1 tsp of oats mixed with a bit of boiled water and left to soak) fed a few times a week, can be built up if needed
baby food, pureed safe food obviously
barley rings (used for horses) again possibly soaked
crappy rabbit museli :wave:

Thanks. Sorry I forgot to mention,the bunny has been checked out by the vet and nothing sinister found.

Thanks for the info Georgeypudding, I'll past it on to my friend.:thumb::thumb:

Not that I know of, but I will check with the owner.Thanks.

for unexplained weight loss I would be wanting bloods to check liver and kidney functions and anything else that could show up and also x-rays to look at if there are any areas that may be causing pain (tooth roots, arthritis, etc).

Good luck :) I hope his family can find out what's wrong and help him.

Back