• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny boarding.... Does anyone do it?

Bugalugs

Warren Scout
Just wondering if anyone here has set up a bunny boarding facility and how you'd go about ti? Own hutches, insurance etc?

Just wondering if anyone here has set up a bunny boarding facility and how you'd go about ti? Own hutches, insurance etc?

I'm in the proceedings of doing so - but I know a lot of people on here already have their own facility :thumb:

In mine - I will provide hutches (I already have a block of 2 8ft by 3ft ones that will eventually be used for boarding) and litter trays, bottles, bowls and some toys (only plastic ones that can be properly sterlised)

I will also provide runs, which will be situated on paving stones or rubber stable mats. I will not put boarders on grass as it cannot be properly disinfected.

I have already spoken to Petplan Sanctuary about their insurance policies, and will be taking out one of their policies when I get set-up :thumb:

I'm in the proceedings of doing so - but I know a lot of people on here already have their own facility :thumb:

In mine - I will provide hutches (I already have a block of 2 8ft by 3ft ones that will eventually be used for boarding) and litter trays, bottles, bowls and some toys (only plastic ones that can be properly sterlised)

I will also provide runs, which will be situated on paving stones or rubber stable mats. I will not put boarders on grass as it cannot be properly disinfected.

I have already spoken to Petplan Sanctuary about their insurance policies, and will be taking out one of their policies when I get set-up :thumb:

That's excellent news for me!

Hi there, I run a boarding service in the West Midlands (www.vipiggies.co.uk).

We have our own indoor cages and cage/run combos in a specially designed room (an unused bedroom), so we're always on hand and can spend loads of time with all of the boarders whatever the weather.

We have Pet Plan Sanctuary insurance (and a fab policy it is too!).

We provide everything except hard food. We bed on fleece and vetbed, and like catherine09, we only use toys/tunnels/hideys etc that can either be washed on a hot temperature or sterilised.

We also provide many, many extras.......probiotic in drinking water, fly-strike prevention spray, healthy treats, such as apple branches, fresh forage which we hand-pick ourselves, dried leaves, all of our veggies are grown in our own garden, and we also keep in a supply of emergency foods (such a ProFibre, Critical Care, Fibreplex, etc).

We started off small, with just three cages (and we originally only planned to care for guinea pigs), but we grew and grew until we're now at 18 rabbit/GP cages and a huge rat/chinchilla cage.

It's hard work, but very rewarding; we've made some life-long friends through the business and we enjoy it all....even the endless cage cleaning :lol:

I have fostered rabbits for Rescue Centres for many years, and still do.

When I have space, however, I board - outdoors.

Back