• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay shortage???

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Just had my weekly hay delivery and he mentioned that because of the wet weather they can't cut any fresh hay and their current supplies are running out :(

Seems like every year it becomes more of a struggle to find a regular hay supply :? Anyone esle been told the same?

Yes.The weather has been dreadful.We are also now at the bottom of last years hay so thats why its a bit naff....all the good stuff has been had.

:(

Seems like its another thing to have to stress about this summer! I am so glad we have less rabbits now, the last couple of years have been a nightmare finding hay

I haven't been told anything, but it's been a nightmare for months now, trying to find decent hay that the buns will eat. The best I've had is from Dust Free Hay, but it's sooo expensive! :(

We are sat here watching a wonderful hay crop spoil in the field:cry:
The grass has grown amazingly well and it would have been a bumper year, but you can't make hay in the rain:cry:

I would suggest that those who have the space start stocking up now, leave it too late and the farmers won't sell:cry:

It's a worry isn't it. :(

My favourite farm shop told me a couple of mths back that the new crop would be ready by mid June time. We went last week & the timothy hay had only just been cut so they said it would be ready mid July - of course since then it's rained every day so I have no idea what's happening now. :(

We are sat here watching a wonderful hay crop spoil in the field:cry:
The grass has grown amazingly well and it would have been a bumper year, but you can't make hay in the rain:cry:

I would suggest that those who have the space start stocking up now, leave it too late and the farmers won't sell:cry:

same here - and my supplier was SO positive when we had that warm spell earlier - now its all spoiling:(

I need two bales a week at least and the prices will go up AGAIN!!

Having horses and going through alot of hay every week, They ALWAYS say this, it is never true!

Its a way of putting their prices up!!

Having horses and going through alot of hay every week, They ALWAYS say this, it is never true!

I know our suppliers are just a family run business and have their own field, they said they are unable to cut it or what ever because of the weather so this means they are running out. They don't buy in from other suppliers

It's something that I've thought about. The grass is more than ready for harvesting but farmers need about 5 dry days to turn and bale it. I suppose in a worst case scenario situation you can always feed Readigrass (which is always available) but there's no substitute for good quality long stem, stalky hay. I think I'd better start panic buying this weekend :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.

My supplier admitted he was having problems because of the weather and all he has left is poor quality, as a result he sold it for £2 per bale instead of £3.50. And my buns won't touch the stuff :(

I haven't needed to buy much hay recently as I have been supplementing it with a lot of fresh long grass from my garden as well as foraged wild plants. :D But come the autumn/winter time I think things will be different..

I can assure you that here at least it is, we will need a fortnight of HOT dry weather right now if this harvest is to be saved it is the worst I have known since helping bring in the harvest. It should have been in the barns weeks ago.
I wonder what on earth I will feed my goats this winter at this rate:cry:

Same here when I went to pick up my hay from the farm. Just getting to the end of last years and not been able to cut anything yet :( He also said he'd been looking at the long range forecast and August will be all thunderstorms :roll:

Back