• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Increase in stray bunnies

Becky86

Wise Old Thumper
We have noticed a huge increase in stray bunnies here at RSPCA Walsall. All the following bunnies have been found as strays :( This month alone, we have had 8 strays bought in. Have any other rescues noticed a rise in strays/abandonded bunnies?

William
C128.jpg

Bournville
C1211.jpg

Juliet
048.jpg

Pax
008.jpg

Sheriff
049.jpg

Pollyanna
056.jpg

These guys are all looking for their forever homes :love:

They are all beautiful, and very lucky to have found there way to you.

There was a thread recently about three strays taken in by Honeybunnies.

Poor little souls .. how could anyone abandon any of them ... :(

Hope their forever homes come along soon. Hope you and the Walsall team are doing well :) x

Yes, more strays than ever before and I think Tracy at Rugby has found the same thing too, it would appear that more and more people are just dumping them on the streets:cry::cry::cry:

I wonder if people are finding that rescues are full and cant take them - so they just let them loose (and the lucky ones end up in rescue).

I also have my doubts at times about the 'found this rabbit wandering as a stray' story!

If it wasn't for my hubby putting his foot down with a firm hand I would definitely become an animal hoarder with bunnies! They are so cute - how can people just dump them? I guess they think they can cope out in the wild :?

I'd have the lot.

Hubby wouldn't.

Hubby earns the most.

So hubby wins.

Ah well.

Its ashame, we have had another arrive today. The majority are males too. Its never been as bad as this before. At present 50% of our rabbits are strays/abandonments :cry:

I don't understand how people can just let a domestic rabbit free.......I'm constantly worrying about my lot getting out of the garden even if it is like fort knox!!

The outside world is a dangerous place for a domestic rabbit, do people not realise this :(

I wonder if it's a quick way to offload a rabbit (it's a stray, I've nowhere to keep it)
That said I spent 2 weeks trying to catch some dwarf lops in a field nearby - Caught one, but dunno where the rest disappeared to (on a rescue waiting list).
One of the buns I took on last year was a stray someone handed in to me, thinking I'd lost one. I hadn't. She's now spayed & in my group

One of the buns I took on last year was a stray someone handed in to me, thinking I'd lost one. I hadn't. She's now spayed & in my group
So not so much you'd lost her, just you hadn't found her till then. :thumb:

I think that if people have got a rabbit or whatever, and don't particularly value or plain love it, when they get tired of feeding it, cleaning it out, etc, it's easy to tell themselves that it's a wild animal anyway (yes, I know) and it'll be fine... or just join the food chain... it's nature's way. Survival of the fittest... and other inapplicable clichés.

Former friends of ours felt this way about some chickens they took on. They didn't warm to their little personalities, it turned out they'd got scalyleg (which can be treated effectively but takes time) so instead of curing the problem and finding them a new home, night after night they deliberately left the hen house open as a takeaway for the local fox... which is what happened. :evil: The friendship rather ended when she expected me to agree with her course of action and I emphatically did not and explained at some length why not.

Last edited:
I am thinking they are Easter or Christmas presents. People think they are cute, cheap, easy and only live a few years. Few months down the line they get to puberty and start causing havoc. People don't expect to pay out for neutering etc. Can't actually afford to keep them in the end. Rescues are full, so they dump them...

I took in Stanley as a emergency until he could get to a rescue as his previous owners were going to set him free if he wasn't gone by the saturday as they were going on holiday :evil::censored: He was already neutered. Their loss my gain, he's wonderful :love:

Back