• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Dopey conundrum

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
This is a bit waffly, so please bear with me.

Longer term members on here will hopefully remember my Badger and battles we had. The Dopeys are his cousins and one is showing the exact same signs as he did in the early days.

I've only noticed them recently after moving them inside.

Previously they have lived outside all their lives, but they love it inside now.

However, with noticing these symptoms, I have some sorting to do. I think things have been getting worse recently, but because it's only when asleep, and I never saw her asleep outside, I don't know if it was a problem in this way prior to coming in.

I chose to bring these three in (Dopeys and Lightning) because the Dopeys didn't cope with the cold last winter and both were making horrific noises when eating and breathing (no infection found- presuming same deformity of the soft pallet as Badger) and, now they are six, I felt they would be better inside because they didn't cope outside.

But now I'm wondering if the Dopey would be better outside if her breathing is better there, but there is no way to know that because I didn't see her sleeping outdoors.

I don't know what to do for the best. I'm leaning towards moving them outside, but I just don't know. I don't want to turn her into a Badger but equally, I don't want to miss a problem by moving her back outside. He was so funny about his air quality but he didn't cope otuside or really inside and it's not as bad as his, but it is noticeable. It was right to keep him inside regardless because he would never have been happy outside, but they are happy outside. But then what if by moving them out I will miss the important stuff.

So yeah, any thoughts? I'm hoping getting opinions from people might help me formulate what I do actually want to do.

Thanks in advance.

From my experience with Grimlock, he has always coped better outside. Inside there are added issues such as dust from carpets etc, cooking smells and other everyday smells that affect him. However saying that I have brought him in because he need so much medication at the moment it's less stressful for him to do it this way. However he will go back outside for the winter because the one thing I've found is the worst for his breathing is the heating in the winter.

It's a very difficult decision. I don't think you'd miss anything with him being outside. If you check on him a few times a day you're very likely to find him asleep. If they don't get too stressed I think it would be worth trying them outside now as the weather is quite warm and should be similar to inside. The other plus is that if you can position them on patio in the shade it will be very cool in the summer whereas inside can get hotter due to windows.

I know Grim's breathing is completely different but it's all I have to compare. But I have seen that breathing is better when it's cooler.

Would it be possible for you to monitor them through the night outside. I know this is not very practical, but just as a short term investigative measure might it be possible to go out and check on them through the night. We did for a few weeks of very severe cold during the first winter we had Spenser. Dad and I took turns to check on him every couple of hours.

I'm curious about the Dopeys sleeping during the night rather than the afternoon, which I thought was when most rabbits had their sleepy time. :?

Thanks.

None of my enclosures are movable but the main problem is that to get outside I have to open one of two doors and that's like some prompt for them that I'm bringing food, so no matter how many times I go outside, they still are alert and looking for food- having been going out several times a night when Hay Monster was alive, I know that they do this throughout the night too.

Blind Deaf Dopey can sleep outside, but she sleeps the same inside as outside. Setting up a cam or similar is not an option due to where they are.

Back