• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No vaccines for Freddy :(

vergo97

Warren Scout
When we were in the vets today (getting our cat Micah vaccinated) there was a leaflet on rabbit vaccination that my mum pointed out. I picked it up and read it, and when we were going home I asked if I could have Freddy vaccinated for my birthday. The answer was no, because:

. He has been healthy for his whole life and hasn't caught anything yet. To which I said that he could get one of the illnesses at any time which lead to...
. He is in an enclosed garden and no other animals can get in there. If we were in a rural area, she would think about it, but Freddy is safe where he is.
. The drug companies use propaganda to get people to vaccinate. She said that if a vaccination for rats came out and was publicised (I've got pet rats) then everyone would want that. I tried to explain that that’s different and that the illnesses rats get are completely different.
. Vaccines can cause more harm than good with all the stuff that is in them. Humans try not to be overloaded with vaccines, so people should do so with rabbits. I did tell her that lots of people have their rabbit vaccinated with no problem...
. Not many people have their rabbits vaccinated, and not many get the illnesses. I said that most responsible rabbit owners would vaccinate, and then she started saying that lots of people don't even get their cats vaccinated.
. And finally, as he is old (about 8 ), it is just not worth doing.

Looks like Fred won't be getting any vaccinations.:( Does anyone have any ideas of what I can get for him for my birthday that isn't vaccinations or bigger housing (not enough room)?

RWAF membership? Then you would get the rabbiting on magazines which you could show your mum which might help to convince her about his needs? :)

Id ask for money, then you Can take him and get him vaccinated yourself, phone your vet see if they do the combined vaccine and how much it is
Also id show your mum some pictures of myxi in action, I know its horrible but maybe then shell see.
I too had a garden that other animals couldn't get into. Three of my buns got myxi and it was heartbreaking to watch, I was only 11. We didn't know back then about vaccines till the vet pts my three buns. So now I get all my animals vaccinated if its available.
Also myxi is transferred by biting insects, so ticks midgies etc and you can't keep them away, maybe your mum didn't realise that?
The RWAF membership is a good idea too, I just like to get things done myself if my parents are putting up barriers.
:) wee Freddy is lucky to have you thinking about how to better his life. Let us know how you get on.xx

I have RWAF membership, I bought that with money from my dads house :D
I don't think it would work asking for money instead, because we have to drive to get to the vets, and if she didn't want Freddy vaccinated she wouldn't take me.
I could try showing the magazines to my mum :)

I agree RWAF membership is a good idea ... but to be honest I sometimes find some of the articles make me feel really inadequate! You could also getting some healthy treats (dried dandelion or herbs, fenugreek crunchies etc), which you could mix in with his hay to make them last a long while. Does he like toys?

I personally would save your birthday money towards it, these vacs are in fact life savers for rabbits , 2 of my customers who were insistent that house bunnies couldn't get myxomatosis were upset when their bunnies both died of this illness and had been perfectly healthy til that point. Have you thought of doing odd jobs for money to raise cash to pay for it yourself . Good luck

I think I'll try and get him some nice hay and treats. He hadn't shown much interest in toys, but when I gave him a jangly ball he loved it and now he plays with it every night at around 9 o'clock.

I'll try to get some money to pay for it myself, at the moment most of the money I get doing jobs goes towards a school trip I'm going on in three weeks time, but after that when I get money it will be mine.

does your mum get involved much in bunny care? or is it just you, maybe you could let her read some of the rabbit magazines, or invite her to post on the forum, or look at rabbits care websites, just a few ideas :wave:

I clean him out most of the time, and I feed him weekdays (I get up quite late at the weekend and my mum wakes up early so she feeds him). I think the problem is she thinks that vaccines and rabbits needing lots of room is just for people that are going OTT and her attitiude is that rabbits used to live in small hutches and Freddy has coped fine for all the years he has not had vaccines and lots of space so things don't need to change :roll:

Back