• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it worth insuring?

Rach210

Alpha Buck
Is it worth me getting pet insurance for Misty? I found a reasonable quote so I'd get her insured but I just wondered whether it would be likely to be needed?

And is there anything that insurance WOULDN'T cover? For example are things like dental problems covered?

I would say 100% YES!!
My rabbit had to have x rays a few months ago and without the problem even being treated it cost almost £300!
We pay about £7 each bun per month. So even if we paid into it for 3 and a half years before making a claim we'd still be better off than if we didn't have the insurance!
I think Pets at home insurance has some kind of exclusions on dental, but not sure the ins and outs of it as never needed to use it luckily....
Im not sure about all of them but my insurance doesnt cover pre existing conditions, anything related to breeding and they say the rabbit HAS to be vaccinated.

Thanks, I was going to use the Pets at Home insurance but I'd like dental cover if possible as Misty apparently has the beginning of a barb on a back tooth which may need filing in future.

I'll make sure I look closely at different providers before I make a decision. I didn't realise how expensive rabbit bills can be, I'm used to my rats who aren't exactly cheap when they need vet treatment but nowhere near as expensive as bunnies can evidently be!

Definately. At the beginning of last year my bunny Nancy was ill and the cost was about £700.00. We didn't have her insured. The vets never did find out what was wrong with her.

Last year Cutie-pie was ill and had to be admitted overnight at the emergency vets. That was £500.00. We had insurance by then.

This year Mr Bennett was ill and in and out of the vets all week. He spent 4 nights at the emergency vets, as it was a bank holiday. Total cost was over £1,500.00 and he is only young. 18 months old at the time. We are waiting for part of the claim to be refunded.

If she already has a sign of something that might need treating that wouldn't be covered but insurance is definitely worth it. Just make sure you get a for life policy in case they get a long term illness.

:wave: i pay £14.00 each month for my 2 bunnies it's with pet's at home when you sign up you get a £10 voucher as a gift yipeee, i think of it as the price of a few starbuck's per month, some vet's bills are the price of a good holiday.:wave:

YES!! Unless you can afford 100's of pounds.
My Poppy isn't insured and has been in the vets on a drip for the last 2 days, had bloods, xrays and an ultrasound as well as meds and the bill is well over £200. She has always been fit and well and now has impaction. We are lucky we can afford this sort of money at short notice, but I do have others of mine who are insured which I am glad of. The trouble with bunnies is that they can go downhill very quickly when they are poorly so you don't get much notice!

Yes if you are going to stick to one or two. Insuring my 6 was going to cost £70 a month so I decided not to :shock:

Yes. It's easier to pay out £10 a month for each bun than find £500 at once when something goes wrong!

I recommend it - I personally am with Petplan and when Bee's bond broke down with Elphie and he needed his eye stitching back together I paid my £50 excess and Petplan paid the other £200 direct to the vet :thumb:

I recommend it - I personally am with Petplan and when Bee's bond broke down with Elphie and he needed his eye stitching back together I paid my £50 excess and Petplan paid the other £200 direct to the vet :thumb:

Massively 100% recccomend insurance, especially as most things go wrong out of hours! Plus vet bills can add up very quickly.
Just a quick note though - not all vets will do direct claims so you may have to settle your bill first and then claim back yourself from the insurance company; but then that's what credit cards are for! :thumb:

Hope you don't mind me hijacking as its the same topic.
Can anyone recommend the best insurance? I'm torn between Petplan or Pets At Home at the moment but ideally I'd want dental covered too, does anyone cover that or is it a standard exclusion?
Grateful for any advice as I've been dwelling on this for weeks as I want the best overall cover for them and keep changing my mind :oops:.

Hiya :wave:

dental is a common exclusion, -although pets at home does cover some dental, as long as it's causing pain or suffering they will fix it up to £150 on their annual cover and £350 on their lifetime. pets at home is much cheaper - though the cover is slightly less (£1500 rather than £2000, but then with the dental and extras it balances out).

I'm about to buy P@h cover I think, I don't agree with pets at homes treatment of their pets, but they are by far the cheapest quote so far - and this way I can confidently afford the excess and standard vet fees should the need arise.

Hiya :wave:

dental is a common exclusion, -although pets at home does cover some dental, as long as it's causing pain or suffering they will fix it up to £150 on their annual cover and £350 on their lifetime. pets at home is much cheaper - though the cover is slightly less (£1500 rather than £2000, but then with the dental and extras it balances out).

I'm about to buy P@h cover I think, I don't agree with pets at homes treatment of their pets, but they are by far the cheapest quote so far - and this way I can confidently afford the excess and standard vet fees should the need arise.

:wave: Thank you. Thats what I was thinking but wondered if I was missing anything . I don't like P@H either but the difference in price is huge and as my 2 are only one it is concerning how much Petplan could go up to as they get older as well.

Mine are 4 - so things can get very expensive once they hit 5! The excess with p@h is slightly higher than petplan I think (£65 or £75), though after 5 I know petplan charge their excess plus 25% wheras I don't think pets at home do this - will find out next year! Anyway, that's a long way off for you.

If we could all afford it, we would all buy fairtrade, organic ethically wonderful products but the reality is we have to pick what we can afford :)

I think Pets at home insurance has some kind of exclusions on dental, but not sure the ins and outs of it as never needed to use it luckily....
Im not sure about all of them but my insurance doesnt cover pre existing conditions, anything related to breeding and they say the rabbit HAS to be vaccinated.

Regular dental check ups aren't included and you HAVE to have regular dental check ups for your insurance regarding their teeth to be valid, else they could potentially refuse (I think - only got my insurance the other month so have thoroughly read the T&Cs). I just have a bi-annual check up with the vet, £15 and she checks his teeth and everything else, they can't refuse then as I've had his teeth checked regularly.

Regular dental check ups aren't included and you HAVE to have regular dental check ups for your insurance regarding their teeth to be valid, else they could potentially refuse (I think - only got my insurance the other month so have thoroughly read the T&Cs). I just have a bi-annual check up with the vet, £15 and she checks his teeth and everything else, they can't refuse then as I've had his teeth checked regularly.

Thanks. I'm happy to do the check ups, I'm a regular there anyway :roll:

It's better to have something that you don't need than need something you don't have.

So yes, get insurance. Insurance means in case; insurance, incase

If you can't afford one vet's bill of up to £2,000, then get insurance. Hopefully you won't need it, but there's plenty of people on here who have.

Back