• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What just happened? Think I saved a buns life.

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
My mum & I were on our way to my grandparents who have just moved, and just as we got to the parking lot I spotted a very domestic-looking rabbit (seen plenty of wildies around there, this one however was grey and had helicopter ears!) hopping around without a care in the world - dangerously close to the busy road where I saw a wildie get killed yesterday :(

So without thinking I got out of the car, told my mum to go to grandparents house & wait and I'd be back in a minute, and approached said bun. A million things were going through my mind at this point but mostly I was scared to death that it'd run away and get hurt. It didn't move, so I sat down on the grass next to it. Stroked it...again, didn't mind at all. So I picked it up, and at that very moment a lady appeared and told me that it belonged to her neighbour so she showed me where to go. Off I went, bunny was now getting a little annoyed at being carried around and kept trying to get away. I think it realised after a while though that I meant no harm. So I got to the property, and put bunny back in the big pen, which was completely open. This struck me as very odd, it looked like no one had even put any effort into keeping it inside the garden. I closed the pen and after a while the owner came outside & we started chatting, I found out that the wee darling I'd possibly just saved from being run over was a girl named Cinderella who was completely free-range :shock: She usually stayed close to the house though and the owner seemed very surprised that she had ventured so close to the road. I didn't want to sound rude as the lady seemed lovely so I strongly advised her to get a bigger pen so she could be kept in the garden only. I also told her about hay since I noticed that the bun didn't have any and was mainly feeding on grass, which had resulted in a mucky bum. I'm not sure the owner took this advice seriously, but she seemed to care so I hope she did. I'm thinking of going back there tomorrow & bringing some hay with me. It was difficult to judge the situation but the owner seemed kind if a little misinformed, and I really hope I made a difference today. I definitely feel great :)

Last edited:
Well done, lets hope the owner has taken note of what you have said. I suppose you could 'just pop round as you thought bun would like a bit of spare hay you had' and see how it goes.

Yeah that's what I was thinking since I actually do have some spare hay :) just hope she wouldn't take it the wrong way, don't want to come across as rude! I tried my best to be polite despite the initial shock when finding out that they actually let her run around the neughbourhood :shock: The owner seemed genuinely concerned when I told her I'd found her by the road though so I'm hoping she'll do something about it.

Oh wow, glad you found her.

Yes, pop over with some hay and maybe a print out on a rabbits diet. I am sure she will take the information on board.

Its difficult I know. I had to tell my half sister I hadnt seen in 15 years, and even then only seen her twice before, on what to feed her rabbits as he had no hay. I felt awkward, as I didn't want to be pushy but I also wanted what was best for her rabbits and she clearly loved him.

She didn't seem offended by the advice I gave her so I'm hoping she'd appreciate some hay :) Might print out a note too. It seems that she kept little Cinderella in the garden for the rest of the day at least, looked for her as we left but didn't see her anywhere. I was so worried we'd drive past there to find that she was out and about again.

You could just jokingly say you are bunny-mad and if she would like any advice or help she can contact you. Just be friendly and nice and i'm sure she'll take you up on the offer :thumb:

You could just jokingly say you are bunny-mad and if she would like any advice or help she can contact you. Just be friendly and nice and i'm sure she'll take you up on the offer :thumb:

:thumb: That's a great idea! I told her that I had two rabbits of my own and she seemed really interested, asked what their names were etc. She didn't seem like a person who might get offended by someone trying to help but you never know, so I'll proceed with caution.

Back