• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny....

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
As some of you may remember a while back I posted about a male rabbit I had seen in PAH adoption section that I was wondering about trying to bond with my 2 girls. It had been there several weeks already but I decided not to risk it in the end. However today, u guessed it, STILL THERE!! :cry: Anyway I decided to ask a few questions about neutering etc and was telling the member of staff (think he's the manager) about my new set up plans but he was totally not interested, think he just wanted rid of me do he could carry on his convo with his colleague (I take back everything I said about that store having decent staff!) Anyway, it's only when I asked why is it nesting that he said oh it's a girl, someone's wrote it on wrong :roll: I can't believe they haven't bothered to change it as many might be put off a 'nervous male' Anyway, on the way home I made my decision, I'm going back before closing and getting her!! At least it takes the neutering pressure off being a female. I know there r still risks, maybe even more, but I'm going to give it a try. Hopefully they can bond in time for the new set up and move in all at the same time. I know some of u will be against it, but my others aren't spayed, so I am going to try bonding and then make a decision about getting all 3 spayed at the same time. Seems to make the most sense in my situation at the mo and I want to give this poor girl a chance...

I think you did the right thing getting bunny. Are SUmmer and Sky sisters? If so, you might have problems when you try putting the new bunny with them, especially when they aren't neutered. Good luck with that and let us know how you get on.

Please don't risk all 3 bunnies by trying to bond an unspayed trio. It isn't worth it. Get them all done and then once the hormones have died down, think about trying.

Please don't risk all 3 bunnies by trying to bond an unspayed trio. It isn't worth it. Get them all done and then once the hormones have died down, think about trying.

But I have googled and found articles that say NEVER have 2 unspayed females together, summer & Skye r unspayed and perfectly content together :roll: I know adding another is a diff kettle of fish but I think to a certain extent u just need to work with ur own instincts and common sense. I bonded summer and skye not 'by the book' and it turned out brilliantly. The new one will live separately for at least a few wks til I get the new set up anyway so plenty of time to make judgement...

I think you did the right thing getting bunny. Are SUmmer and Sky sisters? If so, you might have problems when you try putting the new bunny with them, especially when they aren't neutered. Good luck with that and let us know how you get on.

No they're not sisters, I got them separately and bonded them. Not got the newbie yet! Need to get to PAH before 8pm!!!

Over the years I have done quite a number of bondings. All bondings are different and nothing is guaranteed. Same sex pairs which are bonded at early stage can work, however when the rabbits have reached puberty they can kick off resulting in a brocken bond and injuries. Rabbits which are unneutered are more likely to fail along the way, this can be early or later in their relationship.

Personally I would not keep 2 unneutered rabbits together let alone 3. By adding a third in this may upset the balance between the existing pair. Whilst neutering costs to some may seem high, they are definatly cheaper than having to pay for an emergency repair at the vets if one has injured the others.

I would also not have 3 same sex rabbits as this is more volatile than a pair with an opposite sex rabbit.

I don't have any bonding experience, but if it was me my priority would definitely be having all three girls spayed. Even if your two girls are content at the moment, hormones could kick in at any time. Even just the smell of another rabbit about the place could affect them.

Best wishes to your new bunny, I hope she settles in well, and you find the solution you are looking for long-term.

Over the years I have done quite a number of bondings. All bondings are different and nothing is guaranteed. Same sex pairs which are bonded at early stage can work, however when the rabbits have reached puberty they can kick off resulting in a brocken bond and injuries. Rabbits which are unneutered are more likely to fail along the way, this can be early or later in their relationship.

Personally I would not keep 2 unneutered rabbits together let alone 3. By adding a third in this may upset the balance between the existing pair. Whilst neutering costs to some may seem high, they are definatly cheaper than having to pay for an emergency repair at the vets if one has injured the others.

I would also not have 3 same sex rabbits as this is more volatile than a pair with an opposite sex rabbit.

It's not the cost that's put me off having them spayed, it is the risk of operating and as I have never had any territorial problems with them iv never seen the prob. I know about the risk of cancer but I have just let them be as they r happy. I really don't know what to do, I really want to help this bunny (too late to get her tonight now). I have always believed in trusting instincts and the more opinions and experiences I read the more confused I get. It seems really that any situation might work or might not. I'm not knocking anyone's experience don't get me wrong, it just seems that for every bad story there's a good :roll: The adoption rabbit comes with a free neuter voucher but obv if I was getting her done I would get summer and Skye done too. I just don't know what to do for the best!! :(

I'd like to add my two cents.

My first two rabbits were sisters, they got on fine, very loving relationship but one day they just flipped and fought horrendously. The wounds were horrific, I could see bone at one point and the vet spend hours and hours stitching them back up. They both had to be given an anaesthetic and that treatment cost me far more than two spays would have.

I later found out it what had happened was due to pent up hormones and misplaced aggression. If rabbits sense other animals and become jealous they will take it out on their nearest and dearest. When they become sexually frustrated females will hump each other which almost always leads to aggression due to frustration because a female can't give another female what she is looking for.

I have had rabbits for over ten years and worked with them for as long in various rescues. I have never it seen it work with unspayed rabbits of any sex and the injuries are serious and sometimes fatal. Rabbits can inflicted horrendous injuries. Some of the cases I have seen led to bitten off teats, penis, eyelids ripped out, flesh torn through and bone exposed. Its sickening and so easy to avoid.

Also if that were not horrific enough it is estimated that a round 90% of female rabbits will develop uterine cancer in middle age which can start from age 3. Its a slow disease which basically rots the body. I think the small risk involved with anaesthetic is worth it to avoid the massive risk of cancer. Also to die on the operating table is a kinder more peaceful way to go than though injury or illness. As a former veterinary nurse I know what I am talking about and would urge everyone to always neuter their pets.

I'd like to add my two cents.

My first two rabbits were sisters, they got on fine, very loving relationship but one day they just flipped and fought horrendously. The wounds were horrific, I could see bone at one point and the vet spend hours and hours stitching them back up. They both had to be given an anaesthetic and that treatment cost me far more than two spays would have.

I later found out it what had happened was due to pent up hormones and misplaced aggression. If rabbits sense other animals and become jealous they will take it out on their nearest and dearest. When they become sexually frustrated females will hump each other which almost always leads to aggression due to frustration because a female can't give another female what she is looking for.

I have had rabbits for over ten years and worked with them for as long in various rescues. I have never it seen it work with unspayed rabbits of any sex and the injuries are serious and sometimes fatal. Rabbits can inflicted horrendous injuries. Some of the cases I have seen led to bitten off teats, penis, eyelids ripped out, flesh torn through and bone exposed. Its sickening and so easy to avoid.

Also if that were not horrific enough it is estimated that a round 90% of female rabbits will develop uterine cancer in middle age which can start from age 3. Its a slow disease which basically rots the body. I think the small risk involved with anaesthetic is worth it to avoid the massive risk of cancer. Also to die on the operating table is a kinder more peaceful way to go than though injury or illness. As a former veterinary nurse I know what I am talking about and would urge everyone to always neuter their pets.

I am also worried about their bond being broken as I wasn't aware of this. What would you advice then for summer and Skye, given that the new set (new hutch and permanant run) up should be ready in a few weeks. Would you suggest spaying them before they move in? And what about recovery? How long do they have to be separated? They are both 2 years old and I am so worried that their bond will be broken.

I am also worried about their bond being broken as I wasn't aware of this. What would you advice then for summer and Skye, given that the new set (new hutch and permanant run) up should be ready in a few weeks. Would you suggest spaying them before they move in? And what about recovery? How long do they have to be separated? They are both 2 years old and I am so worried that their bond will be broken.

If these were my bunnies I would get them neutered at a competent vet, someone on here will be able to advise you. When they are neutered they do not need to be separated as this is more stressful for them, the only time I would separate is if they were fighting or humping each other or trying to nibble at the others wound. When left together you will find the recovery is a lot better and quicker, this is the same in humans who have access to their family when they are ill ;)

If you keep them together their bond will not be broken. If you add an additional bun of the same sex you may find that the bond will not work and the girls will end up living apart,

Sorry, but I feel that unless a bun is going to be allowed to mat, it should be spayed/neutered. My boys were never bonded,they were neutered beause we felt sorry for them having hormones flying around that they could do nothing about.
My mum's friend's doe was plagued by phantom pregnancies until she was spayed, so sad to watch...

A bond shouldn't break that easily. They should really be allowed to recover together (I did this with my pair) and certainly in the aftermath of an op they should be too woozy to fight. However if there are signs of aggression you can allow them to recover in pens that are side by side with mesh to separate them. They will still be able to see each other and smell each other. Recovery should really be indoors on soft carpeting or blankets./ No spiky hay or straw to poke shaved tummies. As such I would spay them before moving them outdoors. Hormones may take quite a few weeks to die down and aggression with it but usually it is much quicker than that.

About moving outdoors, make sure the weather is warm, not damp and cold as rabbits who experience a sudden change in temperature can develop respiratory diseases such as snuffles. The rabbits will need time to become acclimatised to the temperature change so let them play outdoors for short bursts (increase by a little each day) in the run up to the move outdoors.

In order to strengthen the bond you can also give them a soft toy each which they can cover with their scents and then swap the toys so each rabbit gets used to the other one's scent. Another good trick scoop up some poo's from Summer's litter tray and put them in Skye's and vice versa. They should need a week maximum to recover before being allowed to play/free range together. Bunnies come round amazingly fast from anaesthetic and you will probably have a hard time stopping them exerting themselves :lol:

You might find they become more affectionate with you after spaying too. And they should litter train easier if they are not already self trained. Also destructive behaviour should decrease.

Regarding the thread you found, a lot of the info is old, replies date back to 2004 and new things are being discovered about rabbits all the time, the species is not fully understood yet so I would go on the latest info available. There have been several leaps forward in rabbit medicine but prevention is still the best method. I can only re-iterate that as someone who knows the species well, neutering is one of the best things for peace, harmony, temperament and health.

By the way I think you have the right instincts and you are certainly asking the right questions. Its obvious and lovely how much you care about your bunnies. Keep asking questions, its the best way to learn :D They are lucky bunnies to have you as an owner.

Just wanted to add that if you look at my signature you will see five bonded pairs, all neutered. One pair have been together for 10 years and not a cross word between them. One pair are newly bonded boys, both middle aged and totally mellow due in part to age and having been neutered long ago. So as you can tell I'm a strong believer in neutering. Without it my two boys would have lonely for a long time, maybe forever.

Thanks fifibutton (didn't want to quote all that info!) They currently live outside so I'm thinking initially allow them to recover indoors then move them back out to their current hutch, gradually as u said, although they would be in my spare room where I have my guinea pig and keep the window slightly open as he'll be moving outdoors soon so wanted him to get used to the cooler temp. Then move them into the new hutch when they r fully recovered. Should I expect aggression? As they have never shown any aggression towards eachother? Btw I think the 3rd rabbit is out of the question, much as it has upset me :cry: as I really want to help but I can't afford to house another rabbit separately, would be pointless getting summer and Skye a huge new set up then getting another rabbit (then prob another to bond!) in a small set up :? However my priority should be summer and Skye. I'm going to price it up at the vets today. One thing that would be good is if they become neater with their toilet habits and stop spraying! Summer was so good when I got her then I got Skye and it all went to pot! They started using their bed as toilet!! Not nice for winter :? They stopped last winter and I was so pleased as it meant i could recycle their bedding to ensure they always had plenty of insulation for the cold weather, but then just started again. Will be nice if they keep their new hutch neat :thumb:

Back