• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD injection - side effects?

Roly Poly

Warren Veteran
Hi,

Please can anyone help - took my little fellow for his annual VHD injection yesterday. When I brought him home, he seemed fine but yesterday evening he was a bit quieter and off his food.

Checked him this morning and he had not eaten anything overnight - have taken him back to the vets and she gave him an injection - she checked him all over and said everything was normal. He's eaten a couple of dandelion leaves but nothing else but he has been to the toilet. The vet gave me some powder to mix and syringe feed him, haven't done this yet as this always stresses him out.

This is the strange thing - exactly the same thing happened last year after the VHD booster - do rabbits get any side effects from this injection?

I seem to have lots of little problems with this rabbit - looking at him now, he just turns his back on me as if he's sulking!

Any thoughts please :(

Was it just a VHD injection he had, or was it the combination vaccine?

If it was the VHD only, find out from the vet or the vaccination card your vet should have provided you with to see if the vaccination was Cylap VHD. If it was, it is common for a rabbit to be off colour after this and they may even develop a slight limp and have a raised area at the injection site.

You need to keep a VERY close eye on him and get him back to a vet immediately if he gets any worse. As long as he is eating/drinking though, he should be back ot normal within a couple of days.

Yes, the VHD vaccination can cause sensitive rabbits to be off colour, and not just the Cylap vaccination (Lapinject too). I agree with the advice above. Good luck!

Thanks for that info - it was the Cylap.

Like I said he's eaten a couple of dandelion leaves and just had some cabbage but only from my hand, he doesn't seem to want to eat voluntarily - will keep a close eye on him.

if you type in vhd side effects into the search bar on here it brings a lot of helpful info up.
mine all get the cylap vhd and never had problems but last month i got my newbie done and he was 'off it' for about a day and a half. i managed to tempt him with blackberry leaves and parsley but he was also slightly lame on one of his front legs which is another side effect.

just keep trying to tempt your guy with yummy things he likes and hopefully he will start to improve.
follow Grahams advice if he is no better soon.
hope he is ok.

Back