• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why it's so important to watch for the little signs

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Remember rabbits are prey animals and don't show pain outwardly like humans and other animals do. It's built into them, which is why it's up to us to watch for the small signs that something's wrong or different.

Smoo just didn't seem quite right. She wasn't as interested in hay but still excited about food. She was still flopping down and relaxing but she didn't seem quite as happy to see me She wasn't running up to me when I went int the room as she usually does. I thought it was the heat, she doesn't look in pain, she's not acting in pain. But I took her to the vet just to be sure. It turns out her abscess has come back on her jaw. So all along she was in pain, just not showing it and I had to look for those tiny signs to tell me something wasn't right.

Three days on pain killers and antibiotics and I walk into the room to her with a mouth full of hay. She's excited to see me again too. :D

So just remember if you feel something isn't quite right never feel silly for going to the vets. :wave:

A chinchilla expert once told me, if you can see that your chinchilla is in pain then it's usually too late. They meant actually showing pain, but I think that when you know your pet you can see pain through all the little clues. Shifting position, grinding teeth, just not as 'happy'.

Glad Smoo is better.

If they showed they were in pain at that late stage, I dread to think what they were suffering before. I remember when poor Babydarling was ill for so long and having so many different meds. He was such a brave little chin. He was quiet and his eyes didn't look right. Only the slightest of changes, but enough to know he wasn't right.

Definitely agree with this. It can even be signs as subtle as sitting somewhere different in their enclosure whilst maintaining a normal 'happy' appearance. Or behaving differently at tea-time even though they're still eating. The signs are miniscule but they're usually there.

Definitely agree with this. It can even be signs as subtle as sitting somewhere different in their enclosure whilst maintaining a normal 'happy' appearance. Or behaving differently at tea-time even though they're still eating. The signs are miniscule but they're usually there.

Completely agree. We know where most of our bunnies "ill spots" are so we can pick up on things so quickly. It is so important to get to know your bunny well so that you have a natural instinct when things aren't right

Glad Smoo is better :love:

Good reminder to everyone to keep a close eye ... and always seek advice if in doubt better to be safe than sorry :)

couldn't agree more and its knowing your bunnies that helps you know these signs.

my Buddy boy often stops eating and seems to get tummy ache. After him doing this a few times i noted it was certain times of the year and between us, the vet and myself came to conclusion he is grooming the girls while they are moulting and getting furballs stuck.

i now see him sat quietly in a certain bunched up way in a certain part of the run with a certain look on his face and alarm bells ring.
a shot of pineapple sometimes helps if i get him very early otherwise its off to the vet for gut stimulant.
this and grooming them all regularly when moulting has stopped him getting very poorly.

the day we lost Rosie (one of my fosters) i knew that morning she wasn't right. normally so fiesty and lively i just couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. she was eating, drinking and pooing fine but i had a niggle and had booked her in at the vets later that day as she came with so many health problems and was so young i thought rather safe than sorry.
i left work early and got home she was sat with Angus and again seemed ok. as i got the carrier out she collapsed and had a seizure, we had to let her go within a couple of hours as she was loosing her fight and i was devastated and so mad at myself thinking i'd let her down badly. :cry:

Totally agree with what you say. You know your bunnies and know if even a small thing isn’t right. I’m suspicious if my two aren’t even in their usual place when I go out to them. I can usually tell by their manner which can be very small change sometimes.

How many times have I been down the vets saying ‘somethings not quite right but not sure what’??!! So far I have been right every time. Vet’s won’t think you are wasting their time if you genuinely think there is wrong. If they do, find another vet.

Glad Smoo is ok :wave:

I completely agree with you, sometimes you just know.

My vet but it very well the other day. There are two types of bunny owners, the ones whose rabbit is fine one day and found dead in the hutch the next and those who can tell there is something wrong and end up spending a fortune.....I think this is very true.

Back