• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant rabbit :s help!

Buster123

New Kit
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this in but..

When I bought my rabbits about 3 months ago I was told they were both females even the vet i went to at first confirmed this.. But one started to hump the other and I thought nothing of it until I saw male genitals when trying to clean the rabbit! Iv taken them both to the vet and one is definitely male and the other seems to be pregnant. She started pulling her fur out yday and I'm now terrified. The pair are bonded so I'm not sure what I should do..? I've booked the male in to be neutered in a couple of days but iv been told that it's best to keep them seperate from now on, I have another hutch for the male to sleep in at night but I'm scared he might get really upset and depressed without the female.... Also can anyone give me advice of how to care for the pregnant female and if I do need a nesting box?

i don't know enough to give advice but people will be along soon. i'd separate them - if she gives birth, she could be pregnant again before you realise she's popped her sprogs.

Separating them is correct as you dont know how far into her pregnancy she is and the boy will get her pregnant straight after the birth. The boy wont mind at all being separated, so dont worry about that. The girl will make her own nest inside the hutch, just make sure she has plenty of hay and if she hasn't started making the nest get the hutch super cllean. If she's already made her nest then dont disturb it. You can give her a little more dried food and greens but when she has had the babies she will appreciate fresh grass, spring greens and herbs, all washed except the grass. Her appetite will increase after the birth. She may go off her food just before the birth but dont worry. The boy will have to stay on his own now until the babies are old enough to leave their mother, ie between 8 and 10 weeks. He wont mind, you can give him a cuddle now and then. Then the next thing will be to have mum spayed and when she has recovered from that you will be able to bond mum annd dad again. Now hes neutered it doesnt mean you can put them together now as boys sometimes kill the babies!

Back