• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a new bunny

Pritch

New Kit
Hi I'm sure this has already been covered here but I just want to make sure I understand exactly how to bond a new rabbit.

We have a 7 month old female called thumper who recently got spayed along with patch another female. Unfortunately patch didn't make it through the op and we want to get a new friend for thumper, we picked up a 16 week old male on sunday(no name as yet) and hope they will become friends. I have put them in the same cage and after a few minutes started fighting. They live outside we have a double hutch which we have split in 2 for now. I just want to be totally sure how to do this properly.

Thanks for any help

Just giving this a bump up the list. You should have a read of the bonding and behaviour part of this forum too. That should give you some idea to start with :wave:

I'm sure someone will be along with some detailed advice soon enough :)

Click here for the bonding section :wave:

Hello there. First of all, is the new boy neutered? If so, you can't put a rabbit in with another rabbit, because the resident rabbit will attack. Rabbits are very territorial. If the boy is neutered you will have to introduce them on neutral territory, somewhere neither of them have been preferably or somewhere that has been neutralised. With a vinegar and water solution. Please read the sticky at the top of the page. Hope the bonding goes smoothly. If the boy isn't neutered he will chase the girl constantly and she will get so fed up it will cause a fight. Let us know how it goes, but don't rush rabbits.

Will the boy need doing at 16 weeks? I knew I would have to be done but I was thinking it would be about 6 month like with our females.

Back