• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Spay help

Carley

Warren Scout
Hello everyone.

I am not very good at posting, I tend to just lurk! But I am coming out of the woodwork for advice. My bunny has been spayed today. She is a house rabbit who lives in the lounge and has a converted dog crate as her base.

The vet told me this morning that she should not be jumping for a little while so I have removed the floors from her crate and put a towel over the vinyl. I thought this would be more comfy although the vet said that this would not be necessary. Then I have left her litter tray, water bottle, food dish (which for the first time ever has had food in it for longer that 2 minutes) and a small chew toy. I have also put her little fluffy bed down too.

Ok, so I when picked Matilda up for the vets she was hopping around in her carrier which suprised me. Matilda is my first rabbit and I had no idea what to expect. The vet said that she had eaten a little but that she may not want to eat much this evening. I let her hop out of carrier in to the crate and she hopped around then munched on her hay. I gave her her tiny allowance of pellets and lots of greens which she ate. Slowly but only a few are left so I am really pleased.

So she appears to be recovering really well and has a check up in three days. I finally feel like I can breathe today! My concerns are that she does not have a hide out in her crate. Will she need one? I just don't want to encourage her to jump up. Secondly Matilda is nibbling on the towel and appears to prefer laying on the vinyl. Should I just take the towel out? I don't want her to be cold. I guess she does have her fluffy bed.

I am sorry for asking such trivial questions but I would prefer to get your advice than sit here worrying all night.

Matilda is looking a bit sad in her crate :( I cannot wait for her to be healed :) (Maybe the excitment is enhanced by the fact that I adopted a gorgeous boy bunny on Saturday with the intention of bonding when Matilda is back to her normal self.)

Hi there. Your bunny sounds as if she is doing really well. She needs to be kept quiet to enable her to recover from her op. You could take the towel out, it is up to you. It takes around 6 weeks for hormones to settle so it is recommended that you wait until then before bonding her with your boy. Let us know how things go.

Thank you for your reply.

I think I will take the towel out. She is just bunching it up and getting annoyed with it.

I am going to keep her in her crate for a week or so to avoid her jumping up on the furniture. It feels cruel to keep her in a crate all the time but I guess it is short term.

Yes, I would have been waiting 6 weeks or so before bonding anyway as I have time off so I can fully devote myself to it. Besides, it is nice for Kyle to have time to settle in to life as a house rabbit before 'dating'!

Thank you for your reply.

I think I will take the towel out. She is just bunching it up and getting annoyed with it.

I am going to keep her in her crate for a week or so to avoid her jumping up on the furniture. It feels cruel to keep her in a crate all the time but I guess it is short term.

Yes, I would have been waiting 6 weeks or so before bonding anyway as I have time off so I can fully devote myself to it. Besides, it is nice for Kyle to have time to settle in to life as a house rabbit before 'dating'!

I'm so pleased that your bunny has recovered well from the op; that's great :) and there's not much I can add really.

I highlighted the above because yes it may appear to be cruel but it's like the old saying "be cruel to be kind". Mine were in a cage for a full 14 days. Yes they were let out after 48 hours to have a nosey around the utility room (they're outdoor bunnies but came indoors on recommendation of the vet) but that was only for 30 minutes at a time, max, a couple of times a day. Rest of the time they were locked up. They recovered well, no problems, no bleeding, no re-opening, nothing. They forget quickly so don't worry; your bunny will be fine just give her some extra TLC :)

My vet said it takes at least two weeks for the muscle wall to heal.
The skin is healed within a couple of days
I still have angel grounded to her cage and it'll be two weeks on Wednesday that she had her spay.
I just give her supervised excercise and lots of noserubs to placate her :)

Back